SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loreleicomal

San Antonio Plant Swap, Saturday, April 9, 2016, Rogiers Park

loreleicomal
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Our spring date is set for Saturday, April 9 at 9 am. We can't reserve the Oct. date until 90 days out but we are planning on Saturday, Oct. 8. A $1 fee for all attendees, guests and visitors included, to pay for the cost of the reservation (yes, we do have to pay for the facility).

Comments (153)

• mamachile
    8 years ago

That would be nice Mara but please don't go digging and hurting yourself.

• mamachile
    8 years ago

Juniper cedar picture

• Related Discussions

WANTED: San Antonio Spring Plant swap April 5th

Q

Comments (123)
    Newish to SA by way of the DoD. Just saw this posting. Bought a new house and have been going crazy with landscaping, granted it seems to be a tad different than what you all do. Is this once a year or other? If once a year, would there be interest next uear for any of the following: Goji berry Honeyberry Blueberry southern Pink lemonade blueberry Brown turkey fig Everbearing fig Pineapple guava Named versions of dragonfruit (purple haze, American beauty, and another. May have other types ready to propagate by then) Pomaagranet If I can acquire good root stalk I have some great, sweet kumquats, sutsumi. Can not guarantee Meyers lemon would be ready. Loquat And this bush that grow REALLY good here. Stayed green all year and has maroon/reddish thistle haired type of flower or something. Pretty sure I can root cuttings as this thing grew from 2ft to about 5ft in 8 months And if interested may pull up rootball for this black leaved crape myrtle. It was planted in yard, thought it was dead in the winter and mowed over 3" new growth. Just seeing as some of my stuff may take time to graft or root.
    ...See More

San Antonio Plant Swap April 6, 2013

Q

Comments (4)
    9 am to around noon, I'll be there by 8am to make sure we get the pavilion.
    ...See More

San Antonio Fall Plant Swap Oct 9, 2010

Q

Comments (0)
    Mark your calendars for the Fall San Antonio Plant Swap: Saturday, Oct. 9, 2010 at Macarthur Park, Pavilion I, 9:00 AM. See you there :-)
    ...See More

San Antonio Plant Swap April 6, 2013

Q

Comments (15)
    Thanks for the info Mara. Anyone know of such a service in San Antonio that is being offered by Natural Gardener? I guess the Ag. extension agency is one, but not sure how responsive they are. I took something once and never heard back. I'd rather have an on the spot ID. Still working on IDing them myself with a 10 power jewelers loop. Also I'm interested in clumping bamboos if anyone sees some 'on' sale and even 'for' sale. I haven't been able to find where chilli thrips have infested bamboos on the internet. Or maybe someone has some to share. A bamboo club used to set up at Vivabotanica. Anybody here a member and know if they will do so next year?
    ...See More
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    8 years ago

That is a bush type of juniper that has been trimmed up as tree. Not the kind that I have.

• mamachile
    8 years ago

The one that was chopped down looks just like this. 55 years old but no more than 6 feet high. It had bluish berries.

• mamachile
    8 years ago

Thank you Mara. Good to know that. I will look for a bush variety.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    8 years ago

Don't call it a cedar, call it a juniper. Texans think that cedars are the tree type of junipers that are native to here like Junipers ashei and Junipers virginiana. The bushes get called Juniper. They come in all sizes and there is even ground cover junipers.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    8 years ago

Mamachile, You might take the short to the shrub forum and see if someone can give you the exact species. Name-that-plant-forum also is good for ID's.

• gardenlover1
    8 years ago

Hi Mamachile, Glad, that you are coming. If you have any of the plants that I am looking for, please let me know. Curry leaf is also ok.

• mamachile
    8 years ago

Anu the gardenlover1, i don't have any curry leaf but I have a pot of marjoram for you.

• gardenlover1
    8 years ago

Thank you Mizan (mamachile). I'll bring something for you.

Does anyone have any mesh or something that can be used for vines?

• mamachile
    8 years ago

Omg, sorry Anu, mike just put out a stack of bamboo stakes for brush collection.

Does anyone wants a set of 4 compost iron stakes? I asked the last swap but nobody was interested.

• gardenlover1
    8 years ago

Patty: I replied back to your email last night.

• Irene Flores
    8 years ago

Hi all! I'm looking forward to attending this wknd and will be there early. This will be my 3rd plant swap with ya'll. I still consider myself a newbie, so I don't recognize most of the plant names listed. Most of the plants I've received from ya'll have done well in my backyard, so thank you! I love cottage garden & tropical plants, so I am interested in lots of green shrubs and bright flowering plants.

Haves/will be taking: 5 small liriope, 3 potato vine, 2 small spider plants, 1 Serrano pepper plant, 2 elephant ears, Reuelia, and a few large black planter pots.

Wants if anyone has them, please bring: rooted shrimp plants, all colors, rocks/brick, small palm, blue salvias, purple or white lantana, Amaryllis, mexican heather, cast iron, pittosporum, herbs like cilantro, basil, thyme.

PS: Castrogardner: if you still have the variegated dracaena, I'll take it off your hands.

Thanks. See ya'll soon.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    8 years ago

Irene: I would not mind your serano pepper and one potato vine. Is there anything you like. My salvia chiquita is blue and blooms in fall when butterflies come through. Mine bloomed almost all winter this year. It is quite xeric will take partial shade/part sun. It just does not like the afternoon sun where I am. Auto spell keeps changing serano to serene.

• mamachile
    8 years ago

Has anyone got a spare one milkweed plant for my butterfly please? These are what I am taking to give away, a baby cedar elm tree, pencil cactus, honey locust, baby sweet arroyo, soap aloe cuttings and some thornless cactus. Also a pot of majoram for Anu. Some stuff for Patty. Oh, that unwanted compost pegs for anyone.

• mamachile
    8 years ago

Mara, I also have one squid agave for your bank collection if you like.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    8 years ago

Mamachile, I would love the squid agave and the sweet arroyo , (if it is a tree). Anything on my list?

• castro_gardener
    8 years ago

Irene, I sent you a Houzz message.

Also, would you like a baby nandina ? (since you mentioned shrubs)

• gardenlover1
    8 years ago

Does any one have veggie plants?

• mamachile
    8 years ago

Mara, the sweet arroyo tree and squid agave are yours.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    8 years ago

Would you like anything on my list. I do have a Antelope milkweed plant that I dug up. It is a little stressed from their recent mauling, I would trade it for them easy.

• mamachile
    8 years ago
    Mara, I will take that milkweed whatever variety. Thank you.
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    8 years ago

OK, I am no longer digging. My car is loaded BUT I do have a handful of small Liatris muncronata seedlings , maybe a year old. They have developed corms . Any interest?

• gardenlover1
    8 years ago

Patty: I sent you an email.

• Irene Flores
    8 years ago
    Wantonamara i will take you the two plants you asked for. And yes i would like your blue salvia. If you still have some Alstroemeria, I'd like to have some too.

Castrogardner. Thank you. I will take the banding too. Thanks. See y'all tomorrow.
  • leapingfroglady Valdez
    8 years ago

@vern I'm interested in one white crinum bulb.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    8 years ago

@Irene if u have the Serrano plant I'm interested. I've got tomatoes.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    8 years ago

@meriberi. I'd like the squid agave.

• Vulture61
    8 years ago

I had a good time at the swap. Thank you, everybody!

Omar

• castro_gardener
    8 years ago

Omar! You're home already ? Glad you made it safely. Hey, can you email me the name of that salvia....I'd like to look it up.

If anyone has questions about what I brought them, please send me a message through Houzz (click on my picture to the left and then click on "MESSAGE" up in the top right corner of my page). Or send me an email at soriano471@sbcglobal.net.

For those of you who took the time to find neat things for me, and sent me pictures of stuff to choose from, thank you very much. I appreciate it.

patty

• MsRed Byrd
    8 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all the plants and sweets. Shell, thanks for the beautiful begonia. Love it! Lorelei, we love the large pots. DH has already been putting them to good use this afternoon. Thanks so much. There's never enough time to say hello properly. We ran home to dig up a concord grape vine for Anu and when we returned, everyone was gone. (Honestly, we weren't gone that long, lol.) We really enjoyed it!

• Vulture61
    8 years ago

For those who got an artemesia from me, its "full" name is Artemesia vulgaris "Oriental limelight".

Omar

• abarbie4me2
    8 years ago

Finally made it home, after stopping and taking pics of the wildflowers all the way home? Thanks everyone :-)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    8 years ago

Did you go back on 281? It was a bit crowded leaving San Antonio but beautiful after that. Thank you for your Plants.

• abarbie4me2
    8 years ago

Yep, thanks for suggesting it, We saw bluebonnets, all colors of paint brushes, cacti, and many other wildflowers in bloom.

It was nice meeting you and hope we can make another one;

• Irene Flores
    8 years ago
    Thank you all for being so generous with your plants! And thanks to whoever put muffins on my truck, they were yummy! It was good seeing familiar faces and meeting new people. I got my work cut out for me this week..and excited about it!
  • loreleicomal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you everyone for the plants! The upcoming week will be busy.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    8 years ago

I am digging in patty's scutelleria . There are a lot of them.

• bluegirl_gw
    8 years ago

Many thanks to all for another fun swap. So good to see everyone & enjoy a nice visit.

Thank you, Lorelei, for your efforts to book to park & get it together. I like Rogiers--it's small, quiet, has just the right amount of cover & tables. Good place.

Thanks to all who gave me plants. I had looked forward to this earlier swap but got swamped the last few weeks & brought nothing beyond what I'd promised individuals earlier. Yet still I went home with cool plants & supplies :-D

Patty, thank you for the LIFETIME SUPPLY of blinds! My papercutter hates you :-D And for the gorgeous "black & blue" salvia--lovely. And the band! Hey, I'll pamper the couple of pathetic bulblets left of "Scotty's surprise", since I know you really, really need it. I should be ashamed at how it declined in my *care*. We'll see if it can recover a bit before Oct.

Omar, my friend--you spoil me. Thank you for the variegated artemisia--I'll keep in mind, as several of you warned, that it's spready. But I need *spready* in places.

Also the salvia sinaloensis & hibiscus acetosella--beautiful!

Mara--thank you for the Chiquita Salvia, the Euphorbia rigida, the purple gooseneck loosestrife, the Spanish lavender Anouk Silver--your plant knowledge & expertise is impressive!

Matthew--thank you for the wonderful rainlilies--never have enough of them.

Mommachile--thank you for the hardy everblooming aloe--great!

And thank you all for the sweets, water, etc.--how nice :-D

Where DO you all get these neat things? It's always a learning experience, going to the swap, finding out about & receiving neat new things to try. But mostly, it's just fun.

Hope you all enjoyed it too. I'll try to do better in Oct.

• castro_gardener
    8 years ago

Karen : I cut up the blinds as I'm watching TV, just make a pile of them and put them in a box or pail. Hint: wash the blinds BEFORE you cut them up ! :-)

Wait... what ??? Matthew had rain lilies ? Karen, what color ? Make them multiply so you can share with me in fall. Likewise the great salvia from Omar....just in case his dies before the next swap. Do you remember if you gave Scotty to anyone else last year ? It looks like Ragna/Roselee has some growing in her yard. I have accused her of stealing mine!

Mara -- you DID say you wanted a lot of them! I had probably a 5 x 5 foot spot that was being crowded by these lovely plants, but they were growing over some of my other perennials there. So, I just left a few that I might dig up and put elsewhere to enjoy without worrying about this happening again. Thank you for the plants for my friend. I potted up everything that wasn't already and will take care of them for a few weeks until she's ready for them. She's thrilled!

Mizan and Mike, thank you for bringing donuts...MUCH appreciated!

Irene Flores, I had sent you a message before the swap at the last minute to ask what you meant by your message here, saying you also wanted the "banding." I am just guessing that your auto correct changed the word "nandina" since you ended up with that.

JoAn, so glad to meet you and thanks for bringing me some fun stuff ! I hope you enjoyed what you chose from my list, and I hope you will be back for more next fall. I will be bringing bulbs to share.

Shell, thank you for all the wonderful stuff you brought for me !

Thanks everyone for a good time...Hope you all come next time!

• vern4857
    8 years ago

Hi Everybody,

I just want to say
    it was a thrill to meet all of you and get your expertise. You are a very knowledgeable
    bunch of folks and I appreciate all of your advice.

I’m going to be
    busy planting for some time and look forward to enjoying my new plants, discovering plants from seeds and enjoying a few meals with my new edibles! Hopefully by October, I will have some better swapping material
    for you all.

Thank you Patty for
    telling me about this group.

-
    Val

• abarbie4me2
    8 years ago

Pics from yesterday. Enjoy http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/64859962

• castro_gardener
    8 years ago

Okay, John, that was a horrible picture of me.... can you do a little photoshopping? Picmonkey has some great ways to make it all better ! :-)

• bluegirl_gw
    8 years ago

Patty dear, there were only enough rainlilies for me. I think they're pink. Okay, actually, there are lots & I'll set ya some aside when I plant them. He says they grow like crazy. Keep an eye on that Matthew guy--he's got some amazing stuff. He likes roses & citrus & natives.

Ditto on the salvias. I have another incredible looking one from Tash (Lovesblooms) that you, et. al., need--S. clarea turkestanica, I think. Grows up to a really majestic size with an astonishing bloom stalk. Threw lots of babies that are coming up now. Meant to dig a bunch but these past couple of months got ridiculously busy & I barely even made it to bring what I'd promised.

Thank you for the tip re. washing the blinds first.

I don't recall for sure, but I likely stuck that oxalis in with some stuff I took to Ragna's house last time--asked for or not--you know I do that sort of thing. I will see that you get some fer sure, because it's obviously so necessary to your happiness. I didn't think a person could kill oxalis, but I've done very well with that beautiful thing & am ashamed. I see a couple of pitiful leaves poking up, though, so there's hope.

• shellshok
    8 years ago

I totally forgot & left a lil shelf thingie at the swap. Im so sorry & if someone grabbed it thanks. You can do whatever you want it i was going to see if anyone wanted it. Again sorry i left it for someone else to deal with.

• castro_gardener
    8 years ago

Shell, I took it home so that we wouldn't get into trouble for "littering." I don't know how strict they are, but didn't want us not to be welcome next time. By the way, did you fit that big black molasses tub in the van ? I didn't see it.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    8 years ago

Finally got to get some of my plants in the ground. That rain last night was great, huh? Happy to see everyone again. Missed Roselee this year. Thanks for all the wonderful plants. Have a great growing year everybody.

• castro_gardener
    8 years ago

oooh, Pat! Look at all that wonderful stuff you have behind you!!! My kinda garden junk!

• shellshok
    8 years ago

Lol yes Patty that tub fit no problem. If you come across more you dont need please let me know & I'll come get them. Thanks so much for taking my shelf. I realized I left it when I got home & started unloading. Thanks everyone for a great time & the plants. Best birthday gifts ever!

• gardenlover1
    8 years ago

Thank you Irene-MsRed Byrd for the grape vine.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful plants.