SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lemontwist_gw

Would like advice before killing 3rd pound of worms...

lemontwist
14 years ago

Hey everyone,

I really want to vermicompost but so far have only succeeded in killing 2 pounds of worms (on 2 separate attempts).

First try:

5-gallon plastic bin with drainage holes drilled in the bottom and sides. Filled with damp newspaper ripped into approx 1/2" x 8" pieces. (I don't have a shredder so it has to be done by hand.) The worms started escaping almost immediately and my boyfriend and I figured they were too dry. He added a lot of water and a few days later we looked into the bin, every one was slimy and dead.

Second try:

We built a wooden box from balsa, it's 1'x2' and we have a cardboard sheet as a lid. Drainage holes drilled into the top and bottom. We filled about half of it with maybe an inch or three of damp shredded newspaper. This time we were very wary about over-moistening the worms but did spray them now and again when the bedding got dry. Within a few days they all started to escape and then all of them died.

I have no idea what we did wrong!! Our apartment is not exactly a steady temperature but usually hovers between 60 or 70 these days. We didn't feed the worms too much because the instructions said not to overfeed them at first. Maybe some coffee grounds was all.

Do we need a different type of bedding? I saw this product online (http://www.capecodwormfarm.com/page3) and was wondering if it would be preferable to newspaper, but everybody else seems to have great success with newspaper which leads me to believe I did something else wrong.

HELP!!!! Thanks. :)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County