SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosariumrob

How wet must clay-like soil become before it kills ...

RosariumRob
16 years ago

.. newly planted roses?

Last week I planted a batch of new roses in my brother's garden (actually a 'lot'). My soil is sandy, but his was a beautiful crumbly clay-like soil. Not pure clay, but there was enough clay to make it stick to your boots when it is wet. It was as easy to dig as my own soil, so I was rather jealous at first.

Unfortunately, after planting and some rain, we realized his lot was lower than other lots and there was a ditch on one side, that was completely filled up with water. There were also a lot of puddles of standing water on the lot. Now, with the sandy soil in my own garden I'm not used to this, water normally sinks right in and disappears.

I wonder if this is going to be a problem? I guess normally the soil would be draining enough, but because his lot is lower and all the water seems to end up there, I'm beginning to feel a little uneasy. We planted quite a lot of money there!

How does this work when you have pure clay? Will rain water stand on this soil for quite some time in wet weather? Am I overreacting because I'm not used to drainage issues in my own garden?

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

Rob

Comments (27)