SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rcnaylor

Wishing for that idylic white Christmas?

rcnaylor
14 years ago

In my parts, you have to be careful what you wish for...

"*****POTENTIAL WINTER STORM IMPACTING THE HIGH PLAINS ON WEDNESDAY!***** Wednesday looks to be one of those days that we honestly haven't seen at all during December....the big snowstorm! I know that many High Plains residents may have travel planned on Wednesday or Thursday, but you may want to re-think those plans or allow extra travel time as this winter storm system moves into and through the area. Just what are we expecting? We may start with a rain/snow mixture before the full transition to snow takes place Wednesday evening. The heaviest snowfall expected along and north of the Canadian River. In these areas, 3-6 inches of snow is possible with isolated, heavier totals upwards 9 inches. Over areas south of the river, 1-3 inches of snow will be possible. Remember that these forecast snowfall amounts are dependent on the track of the storm system. IF the storm system goes even more south than we are currently thinking (Abilene or Midland instead of moving over/near Lubbock), then the higher snowfall amounts will also need to be moved south which places the majority of the High Plains in the higher snowfall amounts. There will be significant blowing and drifting of the snowfall due to strong winds that will howl on Wednesday at speeds averaging 20-30 mph with some gusts upwards of 40-50 mph possible. Combine these strong winds with the snowfall and you will have reduced visibilities which could include "whiteout" or "blizzard" conditions."

The good news from my point of view is me and mine aren't planning on any travel until Saturday. Holed up with a White Christmas doesn't sound too bad.

But those that are traveling 'round here need to be thinking and acting on the safe side.

If I can post some White Christmas pics for those further down in Texas I will.

Comment (1)