SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

A summer of benign neglect and a hairy flower ....

Between the year long drought and being slowed down by knee replacement it's been a summer of benign neglect. Bob watered (somewhat :-) until I could get out there and do a little. It was enough to keep things alive if not thriving. So camera in hand I decided to document a few of what's blooming in November.

With VERY little supplemental water the Pink trumpet vine is flourishing. This one doesn't spread and doesn't produce seeds ...

I knew the name of this lavender vine once upon a time. Now all I can remember is that it is a cousin of the butterfly vine, but doesn't get nearly as large ...

With hardly any water the Casia bush has only a few blossoms ...

One thing is guaranteed -- if you plant Casia the Sulfer butterflies will come! They flit around so fast this is one of the few photos I've managed to take of them. Oh, and the Blue plumbago has been magnificent all summer long. It's roots must be among the most efficent in plantdom to bloom as it does with so little water and care ...

And if you plant Gregg's blue mist flower the Queen (or is it a Viceroy?) butterflies will come ...

I started this salvia from cuttings last fall. What a stunning color combination!

All the shrimp plants are doing well; the red, the fruit cocktail and this one whose name has been forgotten. Like all the shrimps it seeds itself around nicely, but is never intrusive ...

The Rainbow Knockout rose bush has been covered with it's simple single blooms ALL summer long, and not a bit of blackspot to mar a leaf ...

The Toad lily is another that keeps going and going and going. It went for two and a half months last fall ...

For the biggest bloom in the garden the Starfish flower gets the nod ...

Hairy petals and all ....

And last but not least -- a beautiful bug ...

We'd love to see what's 'doing' in your fall garden.

Comments (15)