SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Japanese Tea Gardens in Brackenridge Park, San Antonio

While relatives were here from Vermont we got to go to all the great places in San Antonio that we often don't take time to visit. For me one of the highlights was the recently renovated Japanese Tea Gardens.

"In 1915, the city requested a Japanese immigrant and his wife to transform an old rock quarry into a Japanese-styled garden, and a man named Mr. Kimi Eizo Jingu agreed to the task. He started with a rock house, which still stands today and is surrounded by winding pebble walkways, stone bridges, a waterfall and tranquil pools. His work transformed the old rock quarry into a garden filled with lily ponds and lush green vegetation."

The gardens have undergone many restorations since 1915, the latest being last year and includes a new restaurant to open Oct. 15.

I was blown away with how beautiful many of our native plants can look when arranged and grown to near perfection.

But first I was impressed, once again, with the beautiful rock work the garden is know for ...

If you've got an abundance of rocks they can be turned on their sides for borders. The pink flowered tree is a Barbados cherry in full bloom. There were several of them in the park ...

More views ...

If you love plants do visit. I'll be looking for any excuse to go again.

Another great place we visited is the McNay Art Museum. I've posted photos of it before.

Here's just one looking down from the second floor of the mansion...

I've decided I'd like for the McNay to be my home and the Tea Gardens my back yard ... :-)

Comments (21)