SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

have: san antonio plant swap 10/18/14 rogier's park 9:00 am ...

"Honey Bunny" Barbra, who secures the park for us, asked me to post about the upcoming SAPS.

FALL 2014 SAN ANTONIO PLANT SWAP -- MARK YOUR CALENDARS

DATE: Sat. Oct. 18, 2014.

TIME: 9:00 to noonish

LOCATION: Rogiers Park, 209 Pleasant Dr., Balcones Heights, Texas

(Balcones Heights is in San Antonio)

Rogiers Park is a very few blocks south of Crossroads Mall and is close to IH 10 and 410 so is easily accessable. Parking is on the street and wagons will be helpful in bringing in plants.

There are three or four tables in the covered pavilion, but more tables will be needed so if you have a table you can bring please do so.

For new people that are not sure how a plant swap works the following will explain. I'm not sure who originally compiled the paragraphs below because we've been copying it back and forth for years.

The main theme for the SAPS is to enjoy the company of other gardeners, keep things loose, & have fun.

We all bring our extra plants, favorite seeds, plus any garden related "stuff" like garden magazines, garden decor, baskets, buckets, pots, manure, fertilizer, etc.

Many trades are made at the swap, but pre-trades are good too, since you know you'll be getting something you want, & you know your stuff is getting a new home.

You can swap anything for anything, no "rules" about seed-for-seed, plant-for-plant, etc; as long as the gardeners agree, there you go. You can even bring plants you've bought inexpensively from Lowes discount tables.

You can swap a Ferrari for a package of tomato seeds if you want (or a cow for a package of magic beans ;-)!

Just post what you have & what you want, & people can reply with offers. Once both gardeners agree they're in business!

Label your plants. Cut up pieces of old venetian blinds are good for this. Also it's nice to put your name on the plants you are trading in case there is a question, or so we can remember you by the plant you traded.

Very important: do not remove plants or other items from tables or from under tables. Plants and things no longer up for trade are placed beneath the tables and are off limits.

It's handy to put your pre-trades for each person in a box with that person's name on it & jot down on the label or box what you are to get from that person.

Loose comfy clothing, comfy shoes, a hat, maybe a sweater, water, hand lotion or sun block, newspapers for packing, Sharpies, notebook, camera, labels, etc are all good things to have on hand "just in case".

Even if you don't have many plants or garden material for trading yet you can trade fruit, home canned products, cookies & brownies. They go over very well. We don't worry about even-steven trades.

Many of us have been doing this for several years, & we *always* have tons of plants that we'll trade for a token or even "free to good home".

Even if you've only decided to start a garden on Friday night, by Saturday afternoon, you can start working on your garden!

We also bring fun stuff for door prize drawings. You can bring anything garden related like used or new books, pots, decorative items, tools, gloves, etc. for the drawing. We like to have lots of things so everybody gets something.

For first timers here are photos of Rogiers Park:

Here we were last spring...

Streetside view of the park ...

We'll have cold water. Bring your own snacks.

You may start listing your haves and wants on this this thread

See you there! :-)

Comments (148)

• beachplant
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm not much of a hugger. I never really noticed but a friend of mine pointed out that I don't like to be touched. Kind of funny since I am a nurse and spend most of my career touching people lol!
    Tally HO!

• pinkkpearls
    9 years ago

It's probably because you are a nurse that you are not a touchy person!! I can only imagine, I honestly don't like to be touched or bothered either, but someone free plants make me want to looooooove lol

• Related Discussions

have: san antonio plant swap (saps) october 12, 2013

Q

Comments (149)
    I had a great time on Saturday. I loved meeting everyone. Thank you all for your generosity. My husband wanted to stop and watch a movie as soon as we left the park. Ugh! I looked and smelled ferocious, but we stopped and watched Captain Phillips. Awesome movie. We took our time driving back and stopped and had dinner. All in all, we had a great day. Thanks again everyone! I worked in the yard all day yesterday. My body is paying for it today at work! Thank goodness I'm not busy. Can't wait until the next plant swap. See you then! Darlene
    ...See More

HAVE: San Antonio Fall Swap: Saturday October 13, 2012

Q

Comments (143)
    we have rocks, they are just ground up really tiny and called sand LOL! Rocks and cupcakes, now those are trades! Jim is as excited as I am about the rocks. Forgot Lisa on my list! How did that happen? Ya`ll weren`t gonna tell me either, they are my cupcakes, mine! all mine! I`ll share. Lisa: cupcakes FOR: whatever you want!, take it all! What can I dig up out of the yard for you? Tally HO!
    ...See More

San Antonio Plant Swap Oct. 18, 2014

Q

Comments (11)
    The story I heard was that you had a whip out to make sure it was mowed right. Tally, Your dirt is softer. no fair. I dug some holes down in the "draw" for the apache plume, where one needs to wear goggles and keep your mouth shut when you swing the pick or that thousand dollar crown might be history. The holes were 1" dirt and 90% limestone chunks. till one hits the solid sparking stuff. I am not even close to done. I also got a package in from Texas ranger and I have a bunch of wild stuff I have been growing since spring. SOOOOO much to plant. I ran out of dirt again so it is back to the dirt store for decomposed granite sand and compost. I did get out a bunch of red flags marking positions. Thy looked neat in the setting sun. I thought .HMMMM, no water , maybe I should just plant little red marker flags instead of breaking my back on holes for plants.
    ...See More

WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap

Q

Comments (417)
    Hope to see you there. We start the serious pre swap trading about a month before. So check in then. I am already rooting things. And planting things. some of us are crazier than others. Question to the powers that be. Have we a date for the fall one yet?
    ...See More
  • honeybunny2 Fox
    9 years ago

I dug up a clump of the variegaged iron plant and the other variegaged plant that I have growing in the shade at the coast, The variegated iron plant will only grow in the shade, its not like the other iron plant.
    I have not even had time to divide these clumps. They are in a pot with potting soil. If I do not have time to break them up, I will just bring them as they are, and divide them at the swap. I am not worried about receiving plants. I did promise that I would bring the variegated plants to a gentleman and lady last year, and I wanted to keep my promise. Barbra

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

GardenLover, I don't have any more Reve D'Or rooted--would you like cuttings? Or if you're not confident about rooting them, I can start some more--give them about 2 months, perhaps more, since the weather is cooler.
    (Mmm, pecans. You have a lot of nice plants, but I have limited protected space for winter & am pretty full, thank you. Unless I get tempted, LOL!)

Yes, pretty sure still have a Mrs. B. R. Cant & will bring. Watch out--she gets to be a BIG girl!

Ah, anyone want some Dragonshead (physostegia)? Seems it's usually popular. This late, I can pull it & wrap in damp paper in a plastic bag.

Oh, if anyone has bands (the tall, narrow, 2 1/2" x 5" pots) I'd love some.

• sigma3
    9 years ago

Pink pearls my mom only has seeds for the rose of Sharon. Do you have a color/single/ double variety preference? Thanks

• marcie_new
    9 years ago

Hi guys I hate to post this but is just the way it turned out I found out yesterday I am up for working Saturday so I must cancel my post from yesterda maybe next time Marcie

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marcie, we're so sorry to hear that you won't be coming to the swap. We hope to see you next time.

• pinkkpearls
    9 years ago

Sigma no preferences at all - I am not a picky person!

• gardenlover1
    9 years ago

Bluegirl: I am looking for a deep yellow rose. The online search shows Rave D’or is more yellow than Perle D'Or. Is that right? I am fine with one Rave d’or. Thanks for Mrs. B. R. Cant pink rose. I would love to see a flower of each if you have one. Noted you down for pecans.

Beachplant: I would like to try the 2 fig plants if they are not spoken for. I can get you a big pot to carry dirt, I believe it is 10 gallon.

Not sure if anyone has grandma’s yellow rose.

This post was edited by GardenLover1 on Thu, Oct 16, 14 at 11:03

• beachplant
    9 years ago

going out to water everything and throw in some last minute things. See ya`ll on Saturday!

Tally Ho!

• pinkkpearls
    9 years ago

Sigma no preferences at all - I am not a picky person!

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

GardenLover, Reve D'Or is NOT dark yellow, no old garden rose is, that's a modern introduction.

But it is very pretty! Soft creamy yellow blushing with apricot. The name means "dream of gold". Here's a HelpMeFind link that resembles the one I have. She gradually builds to a weeping or semi-climbing form with long slim canes. It's one of the tea/noisettes, from Ducher.

Mrs. B. R. Cant is a typical later tea with very robust growth (after she gets established, give her a couple of years in the ground). I'll find a recent photo.

May I suggest you look for SUNSPRITE when roses are stocked this spring? A very deep saturated golden yellow. Fragrant & a healthy plant.
    I read lots of favorable things about Julia Child, too, though I haven't grown her.

Check out HelpMeFind/roses & use the SEARCH button to see lots of photos & read descriptions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reve D'Or on HMF

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Does anyone have cuttings of Pink or white Mexican Giant turk's cap?

• gardenlover1
    9 years ago

bluegirl, that's gorgeous!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I have a bunch of Salvia greggis red from cuttings so they are in 4" pots. assort echeverias , i.e. E mazarine, E shavianna and a E shavianna hybrid, P. "fred Ives" or debbie, Echeveria agavoides, A bunch of beat up leaves of "assorted succulents". Ageratina havanense ( Eupatorium havanense, Conoclinium havanese ( they can't seem to stay with one name) Great tough fall white and butterfly plant.

• mamachile
    9 years ago

Hello everyone
    I know I'm late in getting here. I have blue purple water iris for pond to give away as usual I don't know what I want. I think the iris is called woodcock? Anyway, mike has a few garden stuff to give away like a set of six tomato cages and some wire plant supports to anyone who can make use of them.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mara, I am very interested in your assorted echeverias and succulents. Please set aside some for me. Thank you!

Mamachile, it's great to hear from you and know that you and Mike will be there.

See you all tomorrow ... :-)

• mamachile
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of the purple iris. However, we are just bringing root cuttings.
    See you guys.

• mamachile
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of the tomato cages in bundle of six. One or two wires may be missing but still working good.
    Roselee, we wanted to come see the plant people and flowers always bring joy to the heart.

• mamachile
    9 years ago

And this one a wire i dont know for what. Never used and we dont know why we bought it.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

A Mamachile, I have wondered when you would pop up. I have had many tasty dinners with your curry plant. I have mailed the dried herb to Alaska to my sister. She thanks you too.
    I am not stopping digging. I have a 1 gallon lower branch of a Goriza rosemary that rooted If anyone wants a small penstemmon tennis or Phlox pilosa tell me because I will only dig the penstemon up if asked for.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Mamachile, I am interested in the first bundle of tomato cages. Anything that you would like on my list? I have purple opuntias and many more.

• gardenlover1
    9 years ago

Hi Mamachile, welcome!

I am interested in your wire. Do you like anything on my list?

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

Mamachile, if for some reason GardenLover doesn't make it, I'd like to be second in line for the roll of wire. :-) It helps me keep the dogs out of my flower beds! Please let me know soon if there is anything on my list you might want. Email me at soriano471@sbcglobal.net

patty

• mamachile
    9 years ago

Mara, i am glad for your curry plant even gone over to be enjoyed by the alaskans. Yes the tomato cages are yours.

Gardenlover, you are welcome to the wires.

Patty, hello there, you are welcome to be second in line to the roll of wire. However i have a set of six small white fence for flower bed for you if you like as in this picture here.

Mike and i will take whatever is given to us in return, if not, we just give them away. Or else they will go to the bulk collection piles.

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

In case some of you might have missed Roselee's posting above (I know I did) I want to reiterate that we will be asking everyone to donate a small amount to cover the cost of the pavilion and park use for the swap. Recently, the city of Balcones Heights passed an ordinance to charge for park use. Before this, it was free to us. We have tried to keep the swaps in free or inexpensive places, but after while, the prices go up. We have always asked for donations so that the person paying the money up front is not stuck with this.

For now, this is $20. If twenty of us show up, it's not costing us much to go home with what could be hundreds of dollars worth of plants! Take also into consideration that we also purchase name tags and other items which your donations help pay for. If we all chip in, it's very reasonable for everyone.

You will be taking home many plants that you cannot purchase anywhere in a box store here. Some plants are fairly rare, and others can only be gotten from online websites...for quite a hefty amount! Many of our gardeners get their plants and seeds from across the nation and the world. They are sharing them at the swap with you, at no charge. Please help us keep these swaps going by helping us to repay the people who are putting out money from their own pockets to pay for putting on the swap.

(getting down from my soapbox)

patty

• mamachile
    9 years ago

Thank you and so glad for the reminder Patty.
    Save driving everyone!,

• beachplant
    9 years ago

the suv is loaded and ready to go. Waiting on Jim to get home from work so we can head out.

Mara, the feed store had tree aloes when I was there today, I couldn`t resist so you are getting one too. Also an aloe I have no idea what it is, brought one to Roselee last year.

Hope I didn`t forget anything. If so we`ll bring it in the spring.

Tally Ho!

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    9 years ago

I'll be there tomorrow at 9 a.m. hopefully. Can't stay long this time. :)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LeapingFrogLady, I was thinking about you! Do you still need the chocolate plant? I can dig one for you in the morning. I don't know whether you read all the posts above, but if not I'll be having an open garden and edibles after the swap. I hope you can come ...

Tally, I was trying to remember where I got one of my aloes.

See y'all soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Y'all come ...

• linda_tx8
    9 years ago

Okay, I know I told a couple of people I'd be there, but I'm having problems and may be coming down with something! I'll have to sit this one out. Have fun!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Linda, we missed you, or I did at least. I had some Mentzelia decapetala seed that I thought you might like to have a stab at.

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

I enjoyed seeing everyone again and meeting the new folks!

Renee, I know you'll be super busy planting all the great things you picked up. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email. Thank you for the beads...can't wait to look at them a bit closer.

Yvette and Mom & Dad, I hope you all had a good time and will come again. Write if you have questions.

Karen, I haven't gone through all the roses yet -- I'm sitting with a heating pad instead. But can't wait to learn what you gave me, because I KNOW you snuck in some extras ! You're a very bad girl ! But a terrific swapper!

Lorelei, thank you for all my good junk. I just love what you find for me. Keep an eye out for the trash piles when you pass them.... you're sure to find something else to bring to the spring swap!

Mara, thank you for all the good stuff.... you always have something new. You are a very generous trader with so much knowledge on everything.

Tally, hope you and Jim made it home okay. Thank you for all the little extras you stuck under the table. It wouldn't be a swap without some surprises from Tally!

Anu, Mizan, Irene, thank you all for the plants you brought for me and everyone else. We look forward to seeing you again.

Terri and Fritz, it was nice having you both there and I hope you will return.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the door prizes and brought something to snack on.

I wish I had been able to chat with more of you, but you have seen it's not easy to do. It was lovely to sit down and visit at Ragna/Roselee's home afterward. Ragna and Bob, thank you for hosting a sweet little get together for us. It was enjoyable.

Barbra, thank you for continuing to get the park for us. It is very much appreciated.

patty

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    9 years ago

Glad to have had a chance t meetup with all of you once again yesterday. There were so many of us and it's like a family reunion everytime. :) Didn't even take one picture. I do know Rosalee did. I'm sure we will see soon. Enjoy your fall and winter all and see you again in the spring. Sorry, I don't post here much but I must be a dumb dumb when it comes to GW. I just get lost in this place. But all are welcomed to FB in FrogLady's Garden Friends group.

Here is a link that might be useful: FrogLady's Garden Friends

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, we had another wonderful and well attended swap -- thanks to all who came. It was great to see some new faces, but we missed some of the regulars from past swaps. Hope to see you ALL, and more, at next SAPS.

As tired as I was I unloaded the car after the open garden to make sure I hadn't been dreaming to have received so many wonderful plants. I'll be either planting or potting them up today and tomorrow.

Whoever donated the vanilla candle to the door prize table -- thank you! I got it. We had an unusual array of many great door prizes on the table this time. I hope everybody went home with something to enjoy other than their plants.

Lorelei has munificently agreed to become the coordinator our swaps. (Don't cha' love that word :-) ... So you'll be hearing from her about the date for the spring swap Thank you so much, Lorelei!

And many thanks to Honeybunny Barbara for faithfully securing the great park site in her little city of Balcones Heights within San Antonio.

Photos of the swap and the open garden have been posted on the Texas Gallery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Gallery

This post was edited by roselee on Sun, Oct 19, 14 at 14:05

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Who left the very large 'Wonderful' pomegranate tree tied up a red plastic ribbon tag by the back of my car on Saturday? Someone may have offered it on one of the posts above, but rather than reading through them all just thought I'd ask.

I'd like to thank you and remember you as it grows and fruits ... :-)

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

That was me!
    I'm sorry it was wilted. It was just dug up ~ a week ago. Though it might drop its leaves, I think it will do fine.

It was a root-sucker from a potted one--there are at least three others in that area.

Poms--ya can't kill them with a hammer--at least, once they're established.

Thank you for the lovely books, the wonderful lunch, & the invitation to view your gorgeous yard. Beautiful, just beautiful!--so filled with peace & beauty--exquisite!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'Bluegirl' Karen -- THANK YOU for the pomegranate tree! Even though it wilted I know it will be fine. Like you say they have a strong will to live. Ever since 'Mamachilli' Mizan brought me some fruit and juice she had prepared from her tree I've known I had to have it. Tally brought one too so I'm all fixed up.

And thanks too for visiting my garden! The plants were delighted to see you!

I have a little sign that says "Please come into my garden. The roses want to meet you." ... :-)

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

You are so very welcome! I am going to be pouring over those gorgeous books for weeks.

And your garden! Oh, I knew it was lovely--saw your videos--but how exquisitely beautiful & peaceful, so full of birdsong, blooms & beauty!

And I was so tired & hungry after hustling plants! The food, drinks, good company & lovely surroundings were just the thing! Thank you again!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey guys! I need an ID on a plant from the swap. It was with my stuff under the table, but I don't remember being given it and am wondering if I'm even supposed to have it. It doesn't have a tag. Perhaps it was intended for someone else. Or maybe while walking by Tally's stuff I inadvertently touched it ... LOL.

Anybody recognize it?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I am thinking that it is the white bee bush. Was it in the box that I left???

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was thinking maybe it was the white bee bush we talked about weeks ago. It was under the table at the swap. I guess you came across it and put it with my stuff when I was off somewhere else. Yea! I am so happy to have it.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

No, I am confused by that. I had it in the box that I put in your shed. Go figure. Or that is what I think.

• beachplant
    9 years ago

I have never seen that plant in my life. You can tell it's not mine, it's not growing in sand lol!

Tally HO!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well Mara, I dunno' ... maybe blame how it seemed to appear in different places on the alternate universe theory! I'm just happy we decided it should stay in this one.

Tally, yes -- that's a good way to ID plants from you ... lol.

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

Hmmmm...... it seems that a plant fairy was around....

Omar

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, that must have been it, Omar. It was pixies playing tricks on us or else it was me who was somewhat "pixilated' after all the talking and trading ... LOL

I have a question: someone brought a jar for the door prize table containing something brown that looked like preserves of some kind, but it had a picture of a cleaning woman on it. I asked the contributor and she told me that if was for cleaning your hands after gardening and contained brown sugar. I'm fascinated, but can't remember what else the cleaning compound contained. Anybody remember who brought it and what else it contained besides brown sugar?

The dates for both SAPS next year will be announced by Lorelei soon ... :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, Lorelei brought the brown sugar scrub, but it was made by someone else. She said it's made with brown sugar and either oliver oil or coconut oil and is a great body scrub, good for calluses, plus when you rinse it off you find you don't need lotion.

Here is a link that might be useful: There are recipes on the internet ...

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I've made that scrub. It really helps my face. Without it, makeup flakes on my face.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi everybody! I thought this would be a good way of bringing to the attention of those who attended SAPS in the Fall that the Spring date has been announced by Lorelei under the heading of "Wanted: San Antonio Plant Swap."

See that post for details and mark your calendars! Pre trade agreements can be carried out there.

It's gonna' be Spring before you know it, ya' think?

Roses are blooming if that's any indication ... ;-) Actually, it's not because old roses like these at my sister's house bloom much of the winter ...