natvtxn_gw

New post for San Antonio plant swap

natvtxn
17 years ago

Date: March 31, 2007

Place: McArthur Park in San Antonio, TX

Time: 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

What to being: anything garden related.

I have copied part of Mike's post below.

"Hi folks, It has been a few years since I have been real active on here or gone to a swap. I am looking forward to coming to SA unless something gets in the way.

I hosted one in Bastrop once during which we had a gully washer of a rain storm and we still had about 7 or 8 people, some from Temple, I believe.

What to bring: anything garden related. Does that cover it? indoor and outdoor plants, trees, seeds, pots, herbal soaps, books, tools, garden ornaments, etc. When I first started going to swaps I had no plants or anything so I brought rock. Texas Honeycomb rock, that is, otherwise known as Holey rock. They were some HUGE pieces that folks used as planters or just landscaping.

You might want to bring your own table and chairs instead of filling up the picnic tables.

Folks can also bring something to donate for a door prize if they would like. At the end, numbers are passed out or names in a hat and either the number/name called can choose their prize from the table or a prize is chosen then a number/name is called. The donations should be garden related.

One of the posters was concerned about showing up and folks not having what he wanted. Well, it is not against the rules to post what you have and what you want and even to set up swaps in advance. That way you know you are going to get at least some of what you want.

One of the conditions is that everything is free. There is no buying or selling here. Do it somewhere else, please. And most folks don't want to take home what they brought. They brought it because they have plenty. The want to take home new stuff.

A swap is fair if the two traders think it is fair.

Linda, it has been a long time since I have seen you but you should have some ideas about what to bring from your experiences in San Marcos.

Would people object if I brought information on creating a Backyard Wildlife Habitat? I am a volunteer with the National Wildlife Federation and that is my "job" as a Habitat Ambassador, to inform folks how to "wildscape".

Hope this is helpful. I am looking forward to getting in the swing.

Mike "

We decided on this starting time in order to give the out of town folks time to get here. Since this is our first plant swap, we have decided not to have a potluck dinner.

You can bring snacks and or drinks for your personal use. Remember no alcohol allowed.

It is sort of the blind leading the blind here, as none of we 3 organizers have done this before.

Comments (94)