SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_wiggley

Just a word about Pigeonberry

mrs.wiggley
9 years ago

I live on a property that is under wildlife management. I read about Pigeonberry in one of Sally Wasowski's books on native Texas gardening some time ago. It likes part shade and I had the perfect spot beneath a group of large live oaks. The only other thing that had grown under there (that was welcome) was some turkscap. So I purchased and spread some seed. After a few weeks I began to see that the seeds grew easily with steady but not particularly thorough watering and now it's abundant and requires no care at all.. It has a small pink flower head and super bright red berries, growing to be as tall as two feet but mostly staying staying under a foot high.. It is currently bursting with berries and the birds LOVE them! A perfect food for mid summer.
I'm highly recommending it to those who have wildscapes as it spreads pretty quickly and can't be contained. I just mow down any that pops up in the 'yard' or in unwanted places, and it's easy to control that way, but is not well behaved bedding plant by any means. It's not particularly showy either (kind of like turkscap) so is more for the critters. But in that regard it's a winner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brief description/photos of Pigeonberry

Comments (7)