SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

The best I have to offer for now ....

As all us Texans well know this has been a hard year to have a pretty yard. I had high hopes for the roses, but after a nice spring flush the wind blew thrips in and only recently has the damge they do begun to subside.

Prairie Sun Rise has kept pumping out the blooms and only a little thrip damage remains ...

Moleneux does not seems as subject to thrip damage as many others and what a rose with it's changeable colors ...

Most roses blooms become much smaller with less petals during hot weather. This is even more pronounced this year since I haven't fertilized. The highly fragrant Scepter'd Isle is normally a double rose, but is producing singles right now. Still pretty though ...

Grandma's Yellow Rose ...

La Marne, a polyantha that has never missed a beat. Highly recommended ...

A favorite small vine is 'Love in a Puff'. The lime green puffs are the seed pods which contain black pea size seeds with a perfect little white heart on the side. If anyone wants seeds I'll have them ...

I've really enjoyed this new form of Gerbera Daisy ...

Here's my faithful garden companion Sport. Actually the dogs think I come outside to HUNT, not to garden, but they must think 'mommie' is not a very good hunter as nothing other than an occasionally squirrel is flushed out for them to chase ...

Oh well, they can always chase each other :-) Max, the basenji/terrier mix is 14 yrs. old and Sport the poodle is 2 and they play like puppies all the time ...

I'm giving the vote for plant of the year to this Amaranth. I'll be planting a lot more next year, plus I'll have seeds aplenty to share ...

Another view of the amaranth, both foliage and flowers are colorful and beautiful plus it's easy to grow and drought tolerant ...

They say the formula for planting pots is to have a spiller, a filler, and a thriller. In this container the spiller got 'et' by the deer while the filler is doing fine, but the Australian canna has rocketed way out of proportion as the thriller, but I like it anyway ...

Thanks for looking. And as usual an invitation if offered to show us what's going on in your yard -- whether you find good this year, or not. You're welcome to add photos here or start a new thread.

Happy gardening in the heat! You can always put crushed ice in a twisted pillow slip around your neck and stay cool all day outside, but be sure and wear a hat :-)

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting