SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave1mn2

Seedling leaf type

dave1mn2
16 years ago
And that is, know the observable distinguishing traits of every single variety that you end up with, as to leaf form(PL or RL), fruit color and size and shape, and plant habit ( ind or det), so that you know what you ultimately grow is the correct variety. Carolyn ~~~ I took Carolyn's suggestion to heart, spent some time on a data base improving the notes on my grow list by adding height and leaf type to DTM and the description from the suppliers. How early can you determine leaf type? I have some that look obviously PL, others RL, a few hard to tell and even some that have me changing my mind as they grow :\-) Several of the largest are starting the 2nd set of true leaves with the first set more or less appearing fully developed with 3 \- 5 leaflets and variations of compound leaflets. Also, Brandywine OTV, German Queem and Aunt Gerties Gold, known PL types only have a terminal on their first set (not cotyledons). Where as Missouri Pink Love Apple, is supposed to be PL and it could be but has 3 leaflets with rounded lobes. Mix up on MPLA or too early to call?

Comments (5)