SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Leaf miners in swiss chard seedlings :( :( :( :(

katyajini
last year

Hi everyone!

My schedule has changed drastically...I have not been able to be here at all. I miss not being here and my friends. <3

I grew some swiss chard seedlings (several varieties).... I hardened them off and put them outside, waiting for a few days until I can plant them. For the first time in my life I saw leaf miners and every single of my chard seedlings had them. These seedlings are averaging 2-4 inches. I cut off the infected leaves and sprayed them with spinosad. That was about 4 days ago. Last night, so about 24 hours ago, there were leaf miners on them again. I brought the seedlings inside, looked at them carefully and EACH leaf had 3 or more clusters of the white eggs in addition to some leaves having leaf miners in them. I scraped off the eggs, cut off the hurting leaves and sprayed again with spinosad (+ BT this time) and put them outside this morning.

I took a look at the seedlings late this evening and some of them had eggs on them already. How is that even possible? Wouldn't the spinosad make the parent bugs too sick to do anything?

This is intense. I am so tired I just let them be, I will figure out something in the morning.

I really, really, really want to be able to grow my chard. But how, if the seedlings are hit so hard already? Incidentally I have kale seedlings, basil, other leafy greens and some other kinds of seedlings sitting side by side and none of these is affected.

For the last little bit I have been reading on how to control leaf miners.

a) Spray with spinosad.

b) Spray with spinosad and BT together

c) Spray with Neem oil

d) Use Neem oil soil drench

e)Yellow and blue sticky paper traps.

Getting to leaf miners within the leaf tissue is the nubb right?

How often am I supposed to spray with the spinosad and BT so that some of it gets absorbed into the plant?

How often can I spray with neem oil? Can I spray with neem oil at all at this stage? These are seedlings...maybe they cannot handle neem oil?

Neem oil soil drench: this sounds hairy for seedlings too. However this might be a great idea for mature plants but here is what I worry about:

If the neem oil is becoming systemic would I not taste it in the leaves and fruit? Neem is BITTER and STINKY!

Secondly, but not least, wouldn't the emulsified oil affect the soil structure and kill off soil microbes?

Folks, please give me some ideas how I can protect these seedlings and grow some chard.

I would also love to hear what your thoughts are (or experience is for that matter) on using neem oil in a soil drench.

(For a minute there I thought I could use neem oil soak on my summer squash plants and get around squash vine borers, maybe not. Not if that stinks up the squash. Maybe it is worth a try though).

Thanks a million!

Comments (8)