SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teach_gw

1st time growing Black Cherry etc advice please

teach
14 years ago

I had planned to plant this in a pot and hang it from the the heaviest, longest "arm" I could find, screwed to my garage wall, then letting vines hang down and prune to a few branches. Would mulch and put a can with holes punched in it and a water bottle fitted to it with top cut out for ease of watering.

However, I read that they have very long vines. Are they heavy? Will this work? Will I need to cut the vines short?

I have a small urban area with little space and am trying to fit in some other heirlooms I've never tried. I am also hoping to grow Caspian Pink by tying it with strips of old panty hose to fishing line tied to the heaviest, longest "arm" I could find screwed to my garage wall. Again, advice would be appreciated it.

Since tomato plants are said to be poisonous and I have three wire-haired dachshunds, I am putting one of the plastic collars used for winterizing roses around Caspian Pink. I guess if Black Cherry gets low enough I'll have to cut the vines back just so the dogs can't reach it. Problems, problems.

My first-time Cherokee Purple will be in 5 gal. bucket with holes in it places in a big plastic pot with the tallest wire cage I can find and near a fence so it can be tied to the fence. I can put the plastic collar around this also.

Just for fun I am going to try upside down with Sweet Baby Girl in a green plastic shopping bag, inserted in the side, not the bottom, using cut off top of pop bottle. I have threaded fiashing wire through the shopping bag up to the handles, will put some herbs or flowers, probably parsley in top in holes through newspaper put on top. I read that the original had foam on the bottom so have foam from laptop box I can put in bottom. I will have to tie the handles together and tie it to the tallest shepherd's crook I can find, heavy brick at the bottom and tied to nearby fence. It will also have the can with holes punched in it and a water bottle fitted to it with top cut out for ease of watering sticking out of the top.

Caspian Pink and Cherokee Purple will also get a can with holes punched in it and a water bottle fitted to it with top cut out for ease of watering.

Comments (10)