SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alphapenguin

Setting up grow room for Mango/Lychee in basement

alphapenguin
14 years ago

I currently have 3 mango saplings, one 3 gallon Mango and one 3 gallon Lychee from Pine Island and a Guava tree in my basement, which is next to some large windows in my basement which are also south facing. I did this last year (i didnt have the plants from pine island yet), and my plants were able to survive well enough for the summer to be put outside I live in ohio and we get some crappy winters. Anyway this year I wanted better supplemental light so I bought a 600W HPS/MH Grow light. I also purchased some mylar online and will be walling off the plants, but my question is:

Should I try to utilize the natural sunlight and also use the grow light as well? I would just wall off 3 sides and have one side open to the windows, or should I just forget about the natural light (i mean i did buy a 300$ ballast system). I was thinking by utilizing the sunlight as well, it would be cheaper on the electric bill, since i would run the light for shorter periods of time.

As for the humidity, i am not going to worry about that right now, since I do not want to cause a mold issue in my basement.

Any ideas? Maybe if I drew a picture of what I had in mind, it might better frame my question for you guys.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations