SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaime_i_luv_plants

Help needed-I'm at a loss

jaime_i_luv_plants
14 years ago

I planted heirloom seeds on 3/5/10 from Tomato Growers and have had most germinate and grew their coty's but then they seem to have stopped growing. They are just pitiful. Here they are five and a half weeks old and they are no more than 2 inches tall and most haven't developed their true leaves yet. Plus they are just a horrible color.

I started them a little differently this year. I decided I'd cut out the potting up phase and plant in 3" pots. I started the seed used 75% potting soil with the fertilizer pre-mixed in, the feed for 6 months type at the bottom of the cup with about 25% of the top being the seed starter mix which the seed was placed in.

Most germinated in appropriate time (I had a problem with Stupice). But then growth stopped. Some even turned yellow then brown and died, typical effects from being burnt (I'm sure from the soil) I replanted hoping for the best with most of the same results. I kept hoping that as soon as they got their real leaves, they would benefit from the fertilizer and take off. Some were giving hope for this, as they remained green and didn't shrivel up. But now here they stay.

A very few were planted with nearly all seed starter mix and that is the one picture that looks like a fairly healthy and much larger plant. I have another picture of the exact same variety planted the exact same day with the 25% / 75% concoction to show the extreme difference.

It must be the soil. But now, I am in dire straights because I sell these plants and they are expected to be ready in 2 and a half weeks. What should I do to get them going? If I transplant to a soil that has no fertilizer or soilless mix (I have Promix available), I'm afraid that will take them a while to get growing again, but then I can't sell them like this!

In an attempt to revive them, I have actually started feeding them a very low dose of miracle grow as I water (everyday) because they looked yellow and like they were nutrient deficient. I also have been using that growth vitamin that you mix about 1 drop to a gallon of water along with fertilizer.

Please, I need advice and quick. What is my best option? I have never encountered this and I've been starting seed for nearly 20 years. I usually use the cells with seed starter mix, then pot up to styrofoam cups with potting soil with excellent results. I sorely wish I had kept with the tried and true this year and hadn't gotten lazy.

Does anyone have any advice? I have pictures of everything at my photobucket here: (they are so pitiful looking)

http://s975.photobucket.com/albums/ae239/jaimehaney_artist/2010%20tomatoes/

Thank you in advance... Jaime

Comments (10)