SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Please Share Your Christmas Memories

sylviatexas1
13 years ago

When I was a child, I was honored to live in the very first house on Santa's route:

On Christmas Eve, Granny & Papa gathered as many of their children & grandchildren as possible (it was the 50's, a time when many jobs required frequent moves & many families were military, so a lot of my uncles & aunts were overseas or out-of-state).

We kids opened our "family" presents-from our own parents & from the aunt or uncle who had drawn our name-

beneath a fresh tree trimmed in venerable & fragile ornaments, lead "icicles", & construction paper chains made by the younger ones.

At the peak of the festivities, my father & my Uncle Nick would say the Dearborn heater was way too hot & they had to get some fresh air;

a few minutes later, Daddy would pop back in & say they were going to Uncle Nick's house to fix a doorknob or get a new battery for the camera or some such.

After a while, they'd return, & within a few minutes, my parents would load us into the car & take us home.

*& Santa had been to our house while we were at Granny's!*

As my parents explained, it was a very long trip, & Santa had to start somewhere.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!