SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Week 105 - Share your favorite comfort food and memories

beachem
7 years ago

I'm not Southern or close to it in any way shape or form but my go to comfort food is fried chicken, collard greens and Mac and cheese. Yes, they have to come as a trio. I will compromise on losing Mac and cheese but not the collard greens.

Let's visualize the weird concept of a transplanted Asian choosing the quintessential Southern food as her go to cure all. Perhaps that's why they call it soul food. It can transcend borders of the heart and mind.

I'm mighty particular about my soul food by the way. It has to be done just right, especially my collard greens. It has to have turnips and ham hock with pickled vinegar.

My husband has driven me an hour and a half to Flossie's in Torrance when I'm feeling blue or a craving. Recently, I would compromise on Johnny Reb because it was closer to home.

I'm not sure where this fixation on this particular trio of soul food came from. Perhaps, it is a divine mix of flavor that turns on specific chemicals in my brain.

My first exposure to it was in Virginia during college. My best friend and I were crashing Annapolis as a source of thousands of men. We rode down on trains with no clue or plans other than to surprise her old high school friends.

Those adventures are for another day. After our visit, we stopped at my "aunt Jackie" - an old family friend. She took us out to a small local eatery and it was love at first taste.

Thereafter, I found that I always gravitated to fried chicken and collard greens. I could eat it every day.

My husband wooed me surreptitiously for years by taking me out to Georgia and Flossie's while we were just close friends. Since we're now married, I would say that it worked as I remember my dinners with him at those places but not as much at other locales.

Food has always been the key to my heart.

Comments (31)