SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

OT: Share your tree and/or memories

Texas_Gem
9 years ago

As I am working, once again, on another house renovation (ignore the plywood backdrop) during the holiday season I was happy to find that at least this year, I am able to put out my most favorite memories.

If you think about it, I believe for most of us the tree/ornaments/traditions tyed to this time of year are more about memories than anything else.

This weekend I was able to get my favorite tree up. Last year was the only time in my marriage that, due to remodeling, it didn't go up.

I didn't quite realize how much it affected me, not putting it up last year, until I unfurled everything and put it up this year.

I present to you, my wedding tree.
{{gwi:2140881}}

The tree itself is ancient, practically falling apart.

My parents bought that artificial tree early in their marriage, before I was born, and it was the tree I helped decorate every year of my childhood. During my senior year, my parents finally bought a new tree and they gave me my "childhood" tree to have as I moved out and set up my own home.

Shortly afterwards, I met my future husband. We fell madly in love and we wanted to get married quickly.

We were all set to get married at the JPs office when my mother said "my baby only gets married once (hopefully) and it had better be special!!!"

So....my ultra crafty mother set to work, quickly turning her normal Xmas tree into a glittering silver, white and blue backdrop. She made and bought ornaments to cover the tree and, one week before Christmas, my hubby and I took our everlasting vows in my childhood living room, in front of our parents and best friends and no one else.

Afterwards, my mother presented us with all the ornaments that were on our tree, including our special lovebirds.
{{gwi:2140882}}

Those boxes held our wedding rings, simple, plain solid sterling silver bands, and our MOH and Best Man pulled them off the tree when the vow exchange happened. I hang them all together every year, in a prominent spot on our tree.
{{gwi:2140883}}

Every year, we get one or two special "anniversary" ornaments to place on our wedding tree.

Notable ones include
{{gwi:2140884}}

When he took me to see The Nutcracker ballet for our anniversary along with the delicate glass bells that adorned his childhood tree or the sand dollar ornament given to me by my grandparents when I was a child, or

{{gwi:2140885}}

The "new home" ornament we got when we purchased our first home together along with the "wedding tree" and wedding gift ornaments we received.
{{gwi:2140886}}

The vintage ornament/s we've acquired during our antique shopping plus the anniversary gift "wedding bells" added to the original "wedding tree" decor.

We have lived life so well that the majority of the "filler" ornaments/balls won't even fit on the tree anymore.

{{gwi:2140887}}

Though it stills tugs on my heart/memory strings to see them packed in a box that one of our wedding gifts came in.

{{gwi:2140888}}

Honestly, at this time of year, I don't care if my house is perfect, or even finished, my perfectly finished kitchen didn't make these memories and, while I'm certain it will contribute to future memories, it isn't the heart and soul.

I look at my wedding tree and I see, already, a lifetime of memories, experiences and LIFE. Every year there is a few less fillers and a few more "life lived" ornaments covering it.

Nothing soothes my soul better than sitting and looking at my wedding tree, even through all of its beat up crotchety-ness, it is much like our marriage and life. A little beat around the edges, if you look at it as a standalone it is downright pitiful BUT...you take that battered, beaten, worn down tree and add a lifetime of care and concern and you have transformed that pitiful Charlie Brown tree into something glorious!!

So, I thought it might be nice for all of us, during this season, to stop worrying for a few moments and think about what it really means and what we have really accomplished.

Share your pictures and stories. What makes this season so special for you?

Comments (11)