SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denisew03

Wildflower Seeds?

denisew
15 years ago

I am working on a project across from our elementary school to reseed the wildflower meadow - again. I did this several years ago and it started to fill in with more grasses and fewer flowers over the years. The cost of reseeding the meadow several years ago was around $700 (that was when our club was directly sponsored by our PTA). We just don't have the funds like we did last time. It is now to a point where we had the city mow the meadow and I'm having the city disk the area so there will be good seed to soil contact. We plan on having the students spread the seed in September.

I have looked at several websites for the wildflower seed mixes, but noticed some of the seed in the mixes are not all native. Native American Seed has the highest percentage of native seed, but cost $39 per pound where the less expensive seed mixes from other companies (with the non-native seed) range from $25-29 per pound. I plan on using part of the money from a grant from Keep Allen Beautiful to purchase some seed (we only get $200 and need a good portion of that for the bi-monthly environmental club meeting supplies), but was wondering if anyone out there might be willing to help out by mailing some native Texas seed for this project? I can't reimburse any mailing costs and don't have anything to send in return except my thanks (that is why I'm not posting this on the exchanges page or the discussion page), but the cost of a stamp isn't much.

The mailing address is: Vaughan Elementary, Attn: Vaughan Environmental Club, 820 Cottonwood Dr., Allen, TX 75002. I know the students at the school will really appreciate your seed donations and the meadow will look beautiful next spring. I will definitely take photos and post them under the gallery section so you can see the meadow next spring. Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)