Keeping wildflower seeds moist when first scattered?

buddyandelsa(Zone 4 but rumor has it we're almost officially 5)

Hello! I have broadcast deer resistant wildflower seeds onto a bed that gets ALOT of direct sun throughout the day. On the directions it says to keep bed moist for the first few weeks.

What is the secret to keeping the surface soil moist if there's is intense sun beating on it everyday. The surface soil dries out so quickly.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

SaveComment2Like
Comments (2)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw(5)

A thin overlay of straw or leaf mulch along with daily watering can help keep the moisture levels higher. I have had such incredible luck with winter sowing, that I have given up on direct sowing. With direct sowing, it is so hard to keep moisture consistent that most seeds never do germinate, or they shrivel and die before I am ever aware they sprouted. I grow in pots until the plants have roots deep enough to exist below the rapidly drying top inch of soil.

Save    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buddyandelsa(Zone 4 but rumor has it we're almost officially 5)

Thank you! Since they're already sown, I think this year I'll try your suggestion of leaf mulch. Thanks again!!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides 10 Native Wildflowers With Unique Foliage
When the flowers fade, these leaves keep the garden looking good
Full Story
Gardening Guides Seeds or Seedlings? How to Get Your Garden Started
Growing delicious herbs and vegetables starts with knowing your goals and when you want to plant
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Lobelia Siphilitica Keeps Its Cool
Great blue lobelia, a flowering native that prefers moist soil, adds a calming blue hue to the late-summer garden
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More