SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terryisthinking

Distant Drums

terryisthinking
16 years ago

The forum sure is quiet. The old watering hole, the sewing circle, the coffee clatsch, gabfest, whatever we have, has fallen silent.

Maybe you've all floated away, just given up on getting dirty and telling about it. The rain has stripped away every possible subject - summer doldrums without a summer?

The sales have started on all the summer clothes.

I've put 40 pounds of chlorine in the pool this month, and a dollar sez the water would test negative. So much for outdoor pools : )

I've given up gardening for composting.

I spent the morning searching the WorldTradeCenter for my cell phone. Then I witnessed a mother telling a 4 year old that she could not bring her purse to the mall anymore because she left it at t'other end. Glad I'm a big girl.

Comments (21)

• scuba-gal
    16 years ago

hehe - I was thinking the same thing (about it being awful quiet around here). My hubby is on vacation this week and I've drug him 3 garden centers so far - and I've had to visit one tool store (So I'm winning!!) All this rain - it seems to never fail to rain non-stop on his vacation...I'm begining to wonder if he is doing rain dances at night while I sleep to keep from doing honey-do projects!
    Oh well - i'm sure in a few shorts weeks (okay maybe months) we will be begging for rain - but is sure is putting a dent in my plans right now!

~angie~

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Yep it's quiet! I miss all the talk and funny stuff myself but can't think to think of anything for a conversation starter....sort of....PJ

• trsinc
    16 years ago

I was thinking the same thing. Here's about the only interesting thing in my life lately. The birds, mostly mocking birds, have been getting my tomatos. They fly off with the cherries in their beaks and peck away at the big ones. They wait until they are good and red and then peck the bottom halves away. Our toms are in a raised bed so we put bird netting around the whole thing.

The next day those poor birds didn't know what to do. I watched them all day long. At first you'd just see one or two, but on towards the afternoon there were 8 or so out there. Circled around the bed, watching. Every now and then one would swoop in, then another. Then they would all stare and swoop in together! Then fly off screeching with frustration. Kind of felt like that Hitchcock movie, lol. But I got my first truly vine ripened toms yesterday! yum...

That's the best I could do guys. 'Least you had something to read for a minute.

• denisew
    16 years ago

At least the wet ground makes it easier to pull all those weeds. hee-hee!

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

I think the rain has our brains mesmerized & stupefied.

Mine sure is, anyway.

See the Discussions page (thought I was putting it on Conversations, see what I mean?) for the mini-get-together at Starbucks in Irving on Saturday.

Maybe that'll rouse us a little & get the oxygen flowing!

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

I've got 2 kids in crisis mode right now, so I guess I've had their problems on my brain. Not really that serious, but both don't seem to know what to do with their lives. DD just graduated, and doesn't know what to do next. Every day she's been calling me trying to decide where she wants to move, if she wants to move, and not knowing how she's going to pay for any move, much less the rent that's due. DS seems to have given up with the direction he was going in school, and has just announced to his dad and sister that he wants to go to cooking school. He didn't talk to me about it - I guess he was afraid to. I'd ask too many questions. Anyway, I'm reeling from that, so I haven't been all that chatty.

Sally

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

All this rain is just depressing.

I need sun.....vitamin D and a day outside.

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

Sally, good heavens, that just sounds like normal stuff to me. No need to reel. Have a glass of wine and smile at them (over the phone). Just say um hmm to your daughter and when she asks you what to do tell her that you trust her judgement and she'll make the right decision. Mercy.

• beachplant
    16 years ago

I've been busy at work. Mom has to get her wound sewn shut next Tuesday. I had minor surgery yesterday, wide excision for my skin cancer, my shingles is broken out & I'm whiney today. When clinic finishes I'm going home, steal hubbies pain med & sleep. At least the surgery is getting me out of trimming the trees at the rental property, we met with a friend of mine this week to see about selling it. I can barely turn my head and no position is comfortable. Anyone wanna buy a cute little cottage on a beautiful romantic little island near the coast of Texas? In time for hurricane season & insurance companies bailing out right and left? AND I've been trying to get my downstairs in order, started with the store room and working out. So far you can't walk through the downstairs kitchen OR the storeroom, but I keep saying I'm making progress! I've been out watering, we only had rain 1 day this month, putting in stuff from the spring trades, the 1/2 price sale at Houston Garden Center, stuff from Tom's Thumb I didn't have & needed like a hole in the head, selling briskets for this weekends brisket sale for the Krewe, trying to figure out how to decorate the float for Mardi Gras next year, which our parade is in JANUARY! Renaissance is the theme....
    Tally HO!

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Poor Sally, I have this delusion that motherhood will stop when my kids are grown. I'm sticking with that thought until I get there darn it!!!!!
    Tally, I'd love a romantic cottage by the sea. However, the thought of moving and finding another decent job makes me feel suicidal so I'll pass! LOL! PJ

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Yeah, ri-ight, PJ. You just keep thinking that. (evil grin!)

I think I actually helped DD make a decision. I called her and left her a voicemail saying that I've decided to tell her what to do. I told her I wanted her to move here, take that last friggin class at one of the DCCCD colleges, save some money and concentrate on finding and getting into a graduate program. That did it. She called me back the next day, after thinking about it, and said she had made up her mind, she was moving to Portland in August when her friend was driving out there. I knew if I told her what I wanted her to do, she'd do the opposite. Now I don't have to deal with making room for her again, and giving her room back to her! ;-) (It's now my office, and where I spend time at the computer with my forum friends.) Ah, life as a young person. If I had half the guts and smarts and foolhardiness when I was young that she does.... well I don't know, but I'm actually glad she's made this decision, cause you're only young once. I just hope she gets that class out of the way.

Oh, (((Tally))) You've got way too much on your plate.

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

(plugging ears) LAlalallalallalalaaa! I can't hear you Sally! LOL!
    I hope your girl has a wonderful time and does finish her class.
    Tally does have too much on her plate.(((Tally))) PJ

• Jacquelyn8b
    16 years ago

Just trying to finish my degree and play mother hen to the family.

• little_dani
    16 years ago

Sally, I was going to advise you to do just what you did. It works everytime!

My little DGD just graduated from HS, and she knows EXACTLY what she wants to do! Scares the daylights out of me!

She is 16, very smart, and very cute. AND she knows it.

She wants to go to UT Austin in the fall! She is TOO YOUNG for UT Austin! She is only a baby! I want her to go to Blinn, or better yet, come live with Grandmother and I will take her to and from school at Victoria College every day.

LOLOLOL! Can you imagine the reception THAT got? NOT likely, was her reply, (made under her breath). She doesn't want to kill the Goose............but she don't want to live with Granny either. LOL

I am glad it isn't my decision to make. She is a smart girl, and down to earth, lots of common sense. She has done a wonderful job of raising her mother these last few years after all.

I think DD is regressing. I worry about that girl.

Janie, who is going off to see if DH has any meds I can steal.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Jac! Long time no hear :^). You make a very good mother hen. I'm glad you're getting your degree.PJ

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

16 and off to college in Austin....oh, boy. Oh, my. Oh, dear. At least my dd was a few weeks shy of 19 when she went to Boston to go to school.

Jac, you go girl! I never finished. Now all my school money is going to the kids' schooling.

Sally

• Jacquelyn8b
    16 years ago

Interesting development...last night Momma called to say "the kids" next door to her put a For Sale sign in their yard.
    We are definately planning to move but had decided on The Woodlands.
    Living next to mom would help with lots of concerns and heaven knows she never butts into our business.
    I just don't know. Maybe we should put a bid on the house and let fate decide?

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Hmm, that could be interesting, and a good thing if you get along well with her. Could she continue to not but into your business if you're close to her? Could you keep yourself from butting into her business - unless, of course, she needs caregiving from you. It might not hurt to look into the house. I'd make sure you actually could stand to live in the house, and there's not any major flaws with it, before making a bid. But of course, you're definately smart enough to know all that.

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Tough call! Why can't anything be black and white??? Close is handy but too close can be bad if there is a dissagreement. Actually I couldn't live next door to any of my relatives so I really can't say! PJ

• beachplant
    16 years ago

I used to live Jani Move to Austin with that child! You see so much stuff now-a-days that you get paranoid. You JUST know they don't have street smarts and that someone will get them. Quit worrying, she'll be fine. My grandfather always told me to carry a dime in my shoe and that I could call him anytime, anywhere no matter what. I never called him but it made me feel safe knowing that no matter what my grandpa would ride to my rescue!

I always have too much on my plate, that is where having ADD comes in handy, very handy. It rained Sunday & knocked out the power so I finished the store room, the kitchen, bath & most of the LR, doesn't even look like our house! The brisket sale is over, ate one, froze one. We're meeting before the next Krewe meeting to talk about what to do with the float. The plants are all still sitting around but at least they are watered now LOL! My shingles is better, thank heavens for famvir, my neck is sore but I can move today. AND it's raining again, thanks to everyone that sent rain our way.
    Tally HO!

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

You'll get there one day PJ, Then you miss the heck out of them LOL.
    But I am glad that I'm not stuck with kiddo's right now HAHA.
    It is a boring summer not being outside much cause of rain. I get up and go walk around the back for a bit in between showers if I can.
    Today I needed a break and just watched movies on LMN.