SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
houstoncrazyroselady

Distant Drums colors in spring are so unreal (9a Houston, TX)

TW H
last year
last modified: last year

This is a bit late as our Texas spring weather quickly escaped. I took these photos of Distant Drums first flush on 4/15/22. Exactly one month ago. I waited for over a year to finally pull a trigger and bought this rose. Due to my limited yard space, I wanted to be mindful about what to add to my garden. Distant Drums was not on my list (although so pretty in photos) but I read that it wasn't a very healthy rose.

However, it stayed on my mind month after month until one day I walked into a local nursery (as we all know how that story goes). Seeing it in person totally made me not care about its health issues..lol. It hopped on my cart and we went home together (along with 3 other roses). It sure wasn't healthy and suffered a great deal in my no-spray yard in its 1st spring in 2021. I was thinking about removing it. Its summer flowers weren't that impressive either.

However, this spring these blooms reminded me why I fell in love with it initially. Those rich colors, ombre effects are nothing I've ever seen in any other roses. Plus it's pretty prolific and has built up some tolerance to pests/diseases thus far. In the past few weeks, my yard is full of leafhoppers and their yucky babies, they sure love Distant Drums. It doesn't seem to be bothered and continue to put out flowers and bloom (although colors aren't as pretty as earlier in cooler weather, it's still very pretty). Still a keeper.

Colors are incredible almost look photoshopped. I didn't photoshop here at all. Just took photos and video early morning before it got too bright and lowered exposure to decrease the light to come in.

Comments (7)