SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seamommy

Moral or ethics question

seamommy
14 years ago

I want to give money to beggars. I feel sorry for them. Maybe they could work and maybe they couldn't, or maybe they're sick or mentally ill, I have no way of knowing. I just look at some of these poor old people and think that if it was my mother or father, and I couldn't be there to help, I would want someone to take pity on them.

Then there's my sister. She's used drugs since high school, got her kids hooked on drugs too. She had good jobs that she got fired from for misbehavior, lying on time sheets, etc. It's doubtful that she will have enough points to draw social security when she reaches retirment age, and She's only 53 now. My mom pays sis's rent and utilities and buys her groceries every month.

Now she has serious health problems, is borderline psychotic, can't work, and is miserable. I feel sorry for her too and want to help her. And I did give her money a couple of times. Afterwards, she expected me to continue giving her money regularly like a paycheck because I was 'rich' and she was 'poor.' She said she deserved it and I could afford it, so why didn't I?

I'm not rich, I work full time. I was in the Navy reserve for 27 years, which is a very demanding second job. I have money to live well and I also have three duaghters of my own, two are in the military, and the eldest got out of the Navy and got her degree using her GI Bill. I give my kids money occasionally if they need it.

So, if I don't want to give money to my indigent sister, is it wrong to give money to an indigent stranger? If I give money gifts to my kids, should I also give money gifts to my sister? What would you do in my place?

Comments (8)