SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denisew03

making homemade laundry detergent

denisew
13 years ago

I'm on my second batch and absolutely love using this homemade laundry detergent and wanted to share this with the Texas Gardening folks. A friend told me about this and I also read an article about it, so had to try it. It is so easy and I'm saving at least $200 a year - compared to using Tide, Cheer or any of those other expensive laundry detergents. (I have three boys, so do a lot of laundry.) Here is how to make it. You'll need:

Clean 5-gallon bucket with a lid

1 bar of inexpensive soap (Ivory is a good choice)

4 cups water

3 gallons water

1/2 cup washing soda (not baking soda)

1/2 cup borax

sauce pan

grater

Start by putting the 4 cups of water in a sauce pan. Grate 1/3 bar of the soap into the sauce pan. Heat on stove top on low until soap has dissolved. Add to 3 gallons of water in the 5 gallon bucket. Add the washing soda and the borax. Stir until dissolved. Let it sit overnight and it will get a little thick. It is now ready to use. Add about 1 cup of homemade detergent to your washing machine when you do laundry. Clothes come out clean and soft and smelling great! They won't be perfumy, but instead have a nice clean smell. Even my oldest son's stinky t-shirts smell great! ;-)

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath