SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rufino_gw

Beautiful South Florida Native Tropical Shrub

rufino
17 years ago

Gardeners often ignore the many beautiful tropical plants native to the United States right here in south Florida. I thought I'd share one of my favorites with forum members: the Jamaican caper (Capparis cynophallophora).

Jamaican caper has so many ideal qualities it is hard to know where to begin but here goes. First, it has beautiful, glossy, dark green leaves whose undersides are covered with very short, pale cinnamon-brown felty hairs. The two different surfaces, glossy dark green above and felty brown below results in a marvelous contrast. The plant begins to flower when only a few years old from seed and, without the need for any pruning, naturally growns in a narrowly pyramidal Christmas tree shape. However, if you want to prune it then go ahead, its densely leafy branches take to pruning like a champ and Jamaican caper can be pruned to any shape, thus making it an excellent hedge plant. Since the plant has a narrow growth habit and is naturally rather short (maturing at about 18 feet tall), it is suitable for small spaces where larger trees would be inconvenient.

The flowers are rather small and last only about 24 hours but they are borne in great abundance and are truly exquisite. New flowers open in the evening and emit a strong, sweet fragrance. As a result, Jamaican caper makes a wonderful alternative to the non-native night-blooming jasmines (which have shown some invasive tendencies). Older flowers fade to lavender-violet and one such flower can be seen in the image posted below.

The fruits need to be seen to be believed and have lead to the rather vulgar species name (cynophallophora), which literally means "with the form of a dog's penis." I haven't studied canine privates closely enough to know if this is true! But to me, the fruits somewhat resemble large green beans.

Botanically, the plant is interesting in that it is a true caper and is related to the Mediterranean plant whose pickled flower buds (capers) are used as a condiment.

Oops! I almost forgot. The plant is also useful in butterfly gardens since it is one of the larval host plants for the caterpillars of the Florida white butterfly (Appias drusilla).

{{gwi:1309310}}

Dr. Gilman's Jamaican Caper Web Page

Comments (12)