SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexfla

South Florida Herps-2006

alexfla
18 years ago

Hey guys,

it has been a long time since my last post (maybe a year).

Anyway, I have been doing ore herping than birding this year, but I still have been keeping an eye out for herps.

As you all probably know, south Florida has tons of reptiles that are found no where else in North America because of the sub-tropical climate and the pet trade.

Because of those two factors, Tokay Geckos are pretty much established in the Miami area. Last night along my street, I found two Tokays sitting on people's front porches. One was easily a foot long. I could hear other geckos calling from the trees and other houses, but never saw them. I don't have them in my yard, and you can easily tell; I have a healthy population of Tropical House Geckos. House with Tokays have no House Geckos to be seen.

Not too many snakes this year, though I have not been looking. Caught a Southern Ring-necked on a rural road at night while looking for owls. Plenty of Oak Toads as well on that road. Caught a nice Southern Black Racer while on an Audubon birding trip, and saw a Florida Banded Watersnake while on a different birding trip.

A couple nice lizards as well this year. Caught a couple nice Southeastern Five-lined Skinks in February, huge Mexican Spiny-tailed Iguana in January. Of course I have caught the usual anoles this year: Brown, Cuban Green, Carolina Green, Cuban Knight, Bark, and Puerto Rican Crested. I have seen a lot of Green Iguanas this year (at least 100), but no attempts at catching them yet. I have not been to the right areas to see Northern Curly-tailed Lizards, African Red-headed Agamas or Northern Amievas this year.

If any one is looking for information on where to find herps in the Miami area, I'll be glad to help. Hopefully I can get some road herping at night in the Everglades this summer.

Comments (3)

Sponsored