SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieyankfan

African Violets in Florida

julieyankfan
18 years ago

Where the heck can I buy an av in Florida? I've looked all over. Is there a good mail order place anyone can recommend? Thanks.

Julie

Comments (25)

• marjbcrp
    18 years ago

My very favorite place to buy AVs is from local AV club members or shows or conventions. We are starting into the spring show time and there should be a LOT of AV shows in Florida, as there are some fantastic clubs there. Bit far for me to drive, though. You can check out the AVSA web site for clubs in your area, and you can also check the Coming Events to see when shows and sales will be occurring. Hope you find something you like! And of course our Corpus Christi Texas Show & Sale is Feb 17 & 18 if that is not too far to go for a violet!!

Best of luck with your search!!

Marjorie in Corpus Christi TX

Here is a link that might be useful: AVSA

• julieyankfan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Marjorie! I'll check it out right now. As my husband has found out from driving me all around Fla., you can never go too far for a plant!lol He wants to move to TX this year to get away from this homeowner's insurance nightmare we have here, so maybe I'll be shopping in TX next year!

Julie

• Related Discussions

African Violet Show and Sale/Orlando

Q

Comments (3)
    Do you have to sign up or be a member of the AV society to attend? I know someone who lives near there...
    ...See More

Growing Violets outdoors in Florida ?

Q

Comments (3)
    I want to move there too when and if I retire. It will be too hot in a mid summer. But you cannot imagine the amount of gesneriads people do grow on their lanai in a sun and shade most of the year. Depends how close you are to the Gulf- the closer - the less chance of the winter frost. The farther - the more chances you will be dragging your pots inside every so often. Think Achimenes, Smithianthas, Nemathantus, Sinningias, Seemanias, Drymonias... Your AVs probably do better inside and no way you can grow Petrocosmeas and Streptocarpus - you can inside - but they will look like compost candidates. Episcias grow like weeds outside in a shade...
    ...See More

how to tell if your african violet needs water

Q

Comments (32)
    Awww Anne,,,,,you're welcome!! You know, I look at it all the time and it is not that I don't like it. I don't know what the issue is. Never did that with a plant before. Especially a violet!!!!! Well, I think that piece would have broken off all by itself had I not done it on purpose! (oops!!!! did I say that out loud????) Well, I knew you liked it and honestly you don't know how close you came to getting the entire plant!!! Seriously! But glad the piece is doing well for you! I do hope this week is better for you. Slooooow down and take it easy. You know you are also recovering from knee surgery. They say it takes at least a year!!!! I know you are walking well etc, but you also need to take it easy sometimes!!!!! THAT is where eye candy comes in!!!!! (and this forum!!) lol Tomorrow is plant day for me. Gonna work on my plants and go as far as I can. Maybe even take a few pix! If I do I will post them. Rosie
    ...See More

African Violet/Gesneriad Show and Sale/Orlando

Q

Comments (3)
    We went to the show today and it was fantastic! what a beauty in plants to buy and the show was really an eye candy. All the members were so helpful and friendly! Special thanks to Tammy who gave us a quick lesson in growing violets. If you are in the area, don't miss it, it is worth going. Here are some pictures for you from the show This is what we got from the sale Silvia
    ...See More
  • irina_co
    18 years ago

Julie,

A friend of mine lives in a Tampa Bay area and sells violets on ebay. She has an extensive collection and grows them for sale. Her ebay name is aurikab. Check her sales - she is in AVs and begonias - and if you like what she sells you can send her an email - it is possible through ebay if you are a member - and decide if you will be interested to deal with her .

Cheers

Irina

• julieyankfan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, I love Ebay and will check her site out. Thanks.

• stonesriver
    18 years ago

I second Irina on Aurika. She's wonderful. Shipping may seem a bit high; however, the plants are so well packed it's well worth it. And they are very, very healthy.

I've never bought AVs from Aurika as she seldom has trailers but her begonias are to die for :-)

Linda

• plantsick
    18 years ago

Hi Julie,
    Where are you in Pasco County? I,m in Hernando across the street from you.

• cometgirl_2006
    17 years ago

Hi:

I'm in Florida and have no problem finding quality AVs. Local Nurseries, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

I just check them really well for signs of good health.

Good Luck from a Fellow Floridian!

• smithjm
    17 years ago

I live in Florida also and have gone to lowes and Home depot, even Walmart has some. But they don't have variegated ones, just the plain ones. Only once I saw 2 variegated ones in Walmart but they were in poor health. So i've ordered mine online.

• cometgirl_2006
    17 years ago

Hi:

I still believe we can find healthy plants locally to grow and enjoy, without ordering on-line.

After all, they are just plants.

Sincerely,
    Cometgirl_2006

• cometgirl_2006
    17 years ago

LOL!

I am not trying to offend anyone! Actually, I am a horse person and a published freelance writer, not an AV expert. But I do love the AV and I am here to learn from other nice people, not offend them!When I feel a sense of offense, I simply ignore the response.

I am happy with some of the things I have already learned from this website. I don't raise these plants to show them.

Sincerely,
    Cometgirl_2006

• smithjm
    17 years ago

No offense taken here. Sometimes this forum or others can get heated over the stupidest thing! I mean we all have opinions and we all have are own way of doing things. Some ppl can't understand that, and think their way is the only way. I sometimes get my head chewed off here for writing something someone thought as offensive. Sometimes i'll read the post I just wrote and don't see anything offensive about it. But someone will read it and totally twist everything and get offended. Some ppl are more sensitive than others and you really have to watch what you say or you'll hurt them etc. Or if you're like me, you'll say what's on your mind and not sugar coat anything.

• bspofford
    17 years ago

Well, I have a spare 2 cents, and this looks like a good place to spend it.

Whether one collects AVs, stamps, coins, horses, roses, or whatever, one eventually progresses beyond 'a red one, a yellow one, a nickel, a dime, and a quarter.'

Comet girl, I'm sure if you were to consider purchasing a horse, you wouldn't just say you wanted a brown one.

When my mother asks for a rose bush on Mother's day, believe me, she has a very specific NAMED rose in mind, not just a yellow one.

And so it becomes with most people that love and collect African violets. The ones that we see by the hundreds at Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, and so on are probably not named, so it is just a cute pink one. But if you have a cute pink one, maybe you would like a cute pink one with variegated leaves. Or a double blossom. Or a single blossom with fantasy markings. Or a double blossom with fantasy markings. It goes on and on, just like the rose and its constant hybridazation that gives us Peace, Chrysler Imperial, Tropicana, etc.

I myself love all violets, some more than others, but would only have about ten different ones if I limited myself to what I can buy locally. My other options are to buy online or drive to Lyndon's or Rob's Violet Barn, about an eight hour drive. Go figure.

If you wanted a brown horse, and you could only get white locally, what would you do? If you wanted an Appaloosa and had to go 1000 miles to get it, would you? If you drive to get it, make sure to water your plants before you go.

I am not particularly offended by your remark, but for those of us that have moved beyond 'just plants', we tend to get a little squirrelly sometimes.

This is after all a forum to exchange ideas and information, but not everyone needs to agree about everything. The ideas are subject to creativity, however, we all have a responsibility to make certain information we share is as accurate as possible. Maybe that should be a new thread....

Good growing to all.
    Barbara

• irina_co
    17 years ago

Ladies -

I do not think that it is about offending people. It is about offending THE VIOLETS. That's what gets us all let's say disturbed a bit.

First - if you are serious about them - you treat them as living beings. They are not exactly sentient beings - like horses and dogs and cats (and us pretty girls). Plants have their needs and if we give it to them as well as TLC - they reward us with their happy blooming. To treat them like "plants" - it is better to stick to the silk ones. We walk in the park and we do not break the branches, make bunches out of wild flowers etc.etc. because we appreciate the nature's beauty and want it to stay this way for other people. We love our pets and horses and are angry when somebody mistreats theirs. And God forbid if somebody tells you - why do you care - it is just a dog...

Second - we are all competitive. If we have a violet - we want it to bloom and grow to its best - for show or just for us. We do not want to put it in a dark corner and let it sit there until it dies. We want it to flourish. The same about WM violets. The are OK until you figure out that there are prettier ones. Same care - but blooms like wow. And cute miniatures, and trailers, and other gesneriads.... It is like - why eat frozen dinners every day if we can go to gourmet restorant... at least cook something nicer.

Looks like if I am grouchy on Mondays - I talk too much on Tuesdays...

Have Fun

Irina

• larry_b
    17 years ago

Lol

Cometgirl, no offense taken here either and I hope you weren't offended by my responce. You asked earlier about fantasy and chimeral violets. Most of the fantasy violets and all of the chimaral violets you will see will come from mail-order, online or local violets club plant sales. You will not find them at Wal-Mart or Home Depot or any plant stores for that matter. Plant stores just generally do not buy and sell those kind of violets.

Here are a couple of links to two of the better known on-line/mail-order violet sellers.

Robs Violets

Lyndon Lyon's Violets

It will be an education for you and a chance for you to see what is out there.

I have done lots of mail-order online plant purchasing it sounds a little risky, but I can assure you that I have not had one problem with any shipment. The plants always arrived in great condition and the people are some of the nicest people I have never had the fortune to deal with. So, I guess what I would like to say to you, in the kindest way, is not too knock it until you've tried it. lol ;o)

Thank you for the kind words regarding our responses to people's questions. We all love African violets and we would all like to see other people excel at taking care of their violets. My father-in-law once had a saying, "Everything it is easy when you know how to do it." lol That's basically how it is with African violets. They really are a fairly easy plants to grow, but they can be a little finicky. Put them on a watering schedule that they like, the right kind of light and fertilizer and they will perform wonderfully for a person. Also, don't be discouraged if you kill one or two along the way. I don't think there is a veteran here who hasn't killed a violet. I like to let people know that many African Violets have given their lives for my education. lol

Larry

• bspofford
    17 years ago

And now I want ice cream..........and the dilemma is, do I go for white, pink, or brown,or do I go a little further down the road to the store that has hybrids like Cherry Garcia, Chubby Hubby, Vanilla Heath Bar Crunch, Orangesicle, Moose Munch. I mean after all, it is only ice cream, right?

Sorry if I offended any of you ice cream afficionados out there........

Barbara, sitting in her nightgown at 6:30 pm, can be out the door in two minutes flat.....

• cometgirl_2006
    17 years ago

Hi to All:

Thank you for all your nice comments. Yes, your right! I have traveled and traveled for the right horse hay and horses!

But, lol, ironically, I have found the most beautiful AVs at a local source. Especially, the Fantasy type. Just lucky I guess!

My horses are my main loves. And, of course, I have a favorite breed of horse. But, I love learning from this website from you good people, so please don't ever think I am trying to offend anyone.

Again, thank you!
    Cometgirl

• cometgirl_2006
    17 years ago

I just thought; let's not forget about our handsome men on line here, too, who provide alot of help for us!

Thank you Larry!

Cometgirl

P.S. I have quite a sense of humor

• larry_b
    17 years ago

Cometgirl,

Absolutely! Let's not forget about them! ;o)

You are very welcome!!!

Larry

• rfmfme
    8 years ago

I am new to violets. At a thrift store some came in half dead. I got them for free. Came home replanted and they are all doing beautiful in a south-east morning sun window, constantly blooming. I do not know the names of them and would like to find out. I would also like to get some fancy ruffled flower ones. I live in FL. Walmart, garden shops all have purple or none, I want more color than that. Please let me know a good place to buy on line from a grower any place. Thank you.

• aegis1000
    8 years ago

Try www.lyndonlyon.com

Or PJ's Violets on ebay ...

• irina_co
    8 years ago

On eBay - punch African Violets and you will get 1000 hits. Lyndonlyon.com, Violetbarn.com

• petrushka (7b)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

i found this AV society in Orlando - perhaps, you can contact them for more info

http://centralfloridaafricanvioletsoc.weebly.com/

• rfmfme
    8 years ago

Thank you so much....will do that.

• maltesepm
    6 years ago

There is a nursery in Zellwood Florida (central). Called Central Florida Ferns. It's a wonderful place to buy African violets, fern, succulents. Many beautiful colors to chose from. Let me know if you go and like it. Worth the trip.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions