SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

Sun Gold my slowest growing tomato seedling

californian
15 years ago

This year I started Black Krim, Ace 55 VF, Supersweet 100, Chadwick Cherry, Yellow Perfection, and Sun Gold Tomato seeds. Sun Gold is the slowest growing, plus had the worst germination rate, even worse than some seven year old seeds. Out of 20 Sun Gold seeds I planted only 10 came up. But the package says enough seed for 8 plants, so I guess I can't complain because they were expecting a low germination rate when they packed them. Maybe they were old seeds that were returned and tested and repackaged with a new packed for date on the package. The Ace 55 had the best germination rate, 100% of the 15 seeds I planted came up.

My problem is I can't bring myself to throw away my excess seedlings, I would feel like a murderer. They say throw away the weakest, but what if there are no weakest? Just to give the excess away will cost time and money because people don't want a two inch high seedling, even if for free. They want something ready to plant, which means I would have buy some more pots and potting soil, plus water and take care of them for another month before they got big enough that people would want them.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations