SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dandilyun

How do I fix this dying leaf problem?

dandilyun
12 years ago

Hello! I have learned a great deal form these forums, however, some of what you all say doesn't quite make sense yet. You speak a special tomato language I haven't learned :) I have been trying to grow tomatoes for 3 years now. This is my first time successfully growing tomatoes...yay! But I have two problems: splitting tomatoes, and now dying brown leaves. I suspect some sort of mite, but I am hoping that is what you all can help me with. Also, maybe a solution.

I had a heck of a start this year, late frosts and major earwigs, and replanted 4 times. Last time I replanted the tomatoes, I planted 6 or so Home Depot bought tomato plants in a 10x2 foot planter box. So before anyone tells me it's too many for that size, I know that now :) I honestly figured half of them would die again. It's a tangled jungle, and I have no idea how to fix it.

My whole garden is on the same timed watering system...4x per day for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, water is seeping out the bottom of the corners of the planter boxes. I don't know how the splitting could be from inconsistent watering...it's been a set schedule for 2 months now. I am in the high desert, and although it's been a fairly mild summer, it is very dry and is still getting up in the high 90's.

The picture shows whatever funky thing is going on with the leaves. The leaves are drying out in the center of the jumble of plants, and working it's way out. At first I thought it was just because it was all so dense, they were just going their normal course. Now, I see black dots and methinks something is amiss. Any suggestions for fertilizing, or debugging would be appreciated. Oh...due to the MAJOR infestation of earwigs this year, up until a month ago everything had been Sevined within an inch of it's life, so I am trying to avoid the Sevin for now because many of the 'maters are almost ready for picking and eating. I was going to put more than one pic, but haven't figured that out yet.

Thanks!

Image link:

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living