SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cabrita_gw

My sungolds went perennial!?....bless their hybrid little hearts

cabrita
14 years ago

We grow mostly heirlooms, but I have nothing against hybrids, except the inability to save seeds. I have tried Momotaro and liked it. I like lemon boy but my partner does not, so we are still looking for good yellows. We grew Camparis by accident one year. Very productive!

After reading rave reviews on this forum, I put 5 sungolds in the garden last year. 4 of them are on the northern corner of a narrow, long, deep bed running north south. The bed is somewhat protected from the winds and cold with neighboring plants, still gets some hours of sun. I have them trellised on 2 sides. The 5th sungold vine is on a medium-large pot, in the good company of some climbing peas. It is less productive but also still alive.

I have been harvesting continuously since July (planted late). I just came back from collecting a nice little basket. I prune the branches that fruit and brown, and more breanches continuously emerge. The vines have simultaneous flowers, ripe fruit, and green fruit.

I love the fact that you can mix not-so-ripe sungolds with super ripe golden ones and it is like having two varieties of tomatoes. They have a depth of flavor that I have not tasted in other cherries. We got a frost and one of the 4 tomatoes in the group seemed to give up the ghost (went dormant), dropped all green tomatoes to the ground over two nights. I cooked them into a delicious salsa using our last datil peppers, some onion greens, and the emerging cilantro.

I examined my seed supply and I have about 30 seeds left. I am planning to grow several of them and give seedlings to all my local gardening friends this coming spring. I will also plant a couple more in our garden.

So I have 3 very productive sungolds and 2 that are dormant/semi dormant right now, alive but not producing. I wonder if anyone in my climate (Or any one) would know what are the particular nutrient needs of tomatoes, that might be depleting my beds where they reside. I have been feeding them compost and composted chicken manure, some urea from time to time. Thanks for any information on how to care for them on the long run!

Comments (10)