SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kygirl99

Can put in 30 plants - what mix of heirlooms, hybrids, cherry??

kygirl99
15 years ago

I have room in my garden for 30 tomato plants. I didn't raise any from seed, but my local gardening stores, one in particular, have a great variety available. One store has 140 different heirloom seedlings for sale. So I have a great variety to choose from.

In previous years, I have put in a nearly random mix of heirlooms and hybrids, but this year, I want to do the best mix. I find that I end up with about 50% of the crop for me and the birds and critters eat the rest!

I like to have a mix of sweet and juicy tomatoes and firm ones for slicing, and salad tomatoes and Roma tomatoes for sauce.

Should I go with all heirlooms? I have yet to find a hybrid that I like. I have trouble keeping good notes from year to year to know which plants produce the best and which taste the best. And then, last year, every single one of my signs were removed by a wayward husband who got a little too excited with the rototiller. So I truly had no idea what was what last year!

I do remember liking Mortgage Lifter, Hillbilly and the Sungold tomatoes that I planted. I love orange tomatoes, but I once bought seeds from Burpee for a tomato they called the Tangerine tomato, and I haven't ever been able to find that again in a seedling. Burpee still sells the seed, but I haven't been organized enough to buy them and do the seedling thing.

So, my long-winded question is, if you could put in 30 tomato plants, which ones would you choose to have a good mix and selection for eating raw, making sauces and having enough for sandwiches and salads? I'm sure I won't be able to find everything people recommend, but I would like to get a good list to take with me to the nurseries tomorrow.

Over the years, I've grown about 30 varieties of heirloom tomatoes. And the ones I listed above were my only real standouts. German something or other didn't produce a single tomato for me, so that one is out. Hayley's Purple Comet was disappointing, Yellow Brandywine isn't as flavorful as the Pink Brandywine, Big Rainbow is pretty, but not as flavorful as other varieties...and so on.

I did do a search on this topic and pulled together a partial list from what I could find. Here is my wish list so far, with me taking out those that I grew and definitely don't like or wasn't impressed with. Some of these I have grown before, others are new to me. I've starred the ones I already have grown and like:

Brandywine Sudduth*

Aunt Gertie's Gold

Marianna's Peace

Caspian Pink

Kellogg's Breakfast

Aunt Ginny's Purple

Earl's Faux

Sungold*

Cherokee Purple*

Lucky Cross

Mortgage Lifter*

Hillbilly*

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!