SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenman_2010

Italian Giant - What should it be?

14 years ago

I'm growing lots of tomatoes this year and something different I'm doing to this year is to start well more varieties than I intended to grow and then cull out the least favorites as the date for planting in the garden draws closer. This also allows for replacing a variety that may not make it for whatever reason.

Italian Giant happens to be one of those varieties that is currently on the chopping block. I've had seed for years and never got around to growing it out. So with seed started this year, I did a bit of googling to read feedback on the variety and found inconsistent information specific to this variety. Tomatofest lists Italian Giant as a yellow variety with 1 lb fruit and Italian Giant Beefsteak as a red variety with 1 lb fruit. Then Mariseeds lists an Italian Giant as teardrop shaped and indicates that it is Giant in name only with 2 to 6 oz fruit.

Can anyone shed any light on what it should be? The reason I currently plant to not grow it out is that I only want to grow varieties that truly are what they are suppose to be. If what I have is wrong, then I will grow one of the other types that I started seed of.

Thanks.....

Comments (5)