SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momof4andaman

what a journey this has been

momof4andaman
16 years ago

Many moons back - I was as lost as lost could be with SFG. This website and the many many wonderful people on here helped me through some of the dumbest questions a person could ask. Land a livin if my Dad knew I was askin the things I was askin he probably would skin me alive...God rest his wonderful soul! I hated every minute of the farm life - way back when - and so I didn't apply much of anything my dad taught me...

SO I WAS ABSOLUTELY LOST - IN HOW TO GET A MAN OFF HIS BUTT - grow a garden - and KICK THAT OLD DEPRESSION OUT THE DOOR.

Tonight as I was sitting and looking and reading through some of the posts...a name stuck out - like s sore thumb!

RAY SCHEEL.........that dear man helped me through thick and thin getting my - one little square foot garden 4x4 constructed up and going.

********Please stick with me - cause I know I get windy and like my husband says - I don't know the meaning of making a long story short...

Way back when I was searching and so very depressed...I dove into my square foot garden like you wouldn't believe. I was possessed - wood/hammer/nails/screws/peat moss/cow manure/vermiculite/newspaper for ground cover/COMPOST- EEEEEEEEE GADS... the lists went on and on....

so I thought these people can't be serious with some of the things they were telling me.

for example....use newspaper for your first layer in your box - I thought to myself Lord have mercy that newspaper ain't gonna stop that Bermuda grass invading my square foot garden box! So smart me I decided to go down to the shed and bring up the tarp - BOY - I thought those guys on the Garden Web ain't got nothin over this old country girl!!! But this old country girl didn't know that when I draped the tarp over my WONDERFUL BRAND NEW 4X4 - the water had no where to go.........lordy lordy that was the beginning of my saying to myself....'NOW DEBBIE WHATEVER THEY TELL YOU TO DO - DO IT!"

and I did

and I drove them crazy with every question you could think of

and RAY SCHEEL and some of the others were right

the gardens are now in the count of 6 of them.

my husband was never interested in much of nothing outside and was so depressed from a heart attack and open heart surgery...and that was almost i guess 4 years ago...

TODAY - he is so proud of his gardens - he sits for hours picking the worms off his plants - comes in and asks me everything from how to sew seeds and what can he plant now

I SAY THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF THIS HEART - BECAUSE THIS WEBSITE GAVE MY HUSBAND LIFE AND SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO EVERYDAY.

He has more zucchini than carters has liver pills.

I've cooked em, grilled em, baked em, you name it I've done it. And the best part is Jerry (my husband) never ever would touch zucchini - but he eats it now and praises how wonderful it is. And I look at him and think to myself - YOU ABSOLUTELY BLOW MY MIND! Now if I can get him to eat the eggplant - we got it made in the shade!

LOVE ALL FOR YOU WONDERFUL HELP - and COMPOST TEA is a wonderful thing!

Debbie in Indiana smilin at ya all!

Comments (5)

Sponsored