SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

How has your Taste Etc. in Roses/Gardening Evolved? Your Journey....

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Most of my gardening experience was in Coastal So. California (prior to the major drought) and Las Vegas which is in a perpetual state of drought. These gardens were in zone 9a and likely 9b/10a. I only maintained a garden in California for a couple of years, but managed to kill plants and roses despite optimal growing conditions. When I moved to Las Vegas, due to the Summer heat, I had to take gardening more seriously. Fortunately, practically any home built after the 1990's came standard with a drip irrigation system and programmable timer clocks in the garage... thank goodness, or I surely would have killed a many of roses!! After attempting to grow stainless steel, I knew that roses needed stronger colors to stand up to the bleaching from the sun. S.S. was a very unattractive weird grayish color, even during the Spring. I gravitated towards reds like that of Veteran's Honor, Altissimo and Crimson Bouquet and yellows similar to Julia Child and Sunsprite. Initially, Austins were a disaster because I had to learn what was required to grow them during inhospitable Summer weather because the rest of the growing year is a breeze. Fast-forward a decade and I was attempting to re-create another garden. That was when i stumbled into this forum, close to 6 years ago. The reds and yellow just did not make my heart sing. My days are lively and when I would return home, my hope was for calm with enough presence for me to take notice. This forum helped to open a new chapter in gardening, while exposing me to a wealth of knowledge from which combined with experience, I believe to have learned more than the previous decade plus. The next garden was created in 2015, and it included all of the colors I love, and was mixed with moderns, Austins, and those marvelous O.G.R.'s. So many of the latter thrive in my desert garden that is now on autopilot ... kind-of... The aesthetic I prefer has definitely moved towards a cool palette of pinks, white, lavender, dark reds etc. My new journey to the inhospitable cold and other things will see the same palette of colors, however... the rest remains to be seen....

How have you evolve as a gardener and what has your journey been like?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida