SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djscrapbooks

Newbie ?'s regarding trellising

djscrapbooks
17 years ago

I'm a new veggie gardener and recently discovered SFG and wish I discovered it before this season! I have a traditional (too small for my liking!) row garden, with several kinds of lettuce, several different carrots, peas, bush beans, strawberries, zucchini, cucumber, and parsley. I want to plant so much more!

I'm trying to plan out my next years SFG and was curious, do you put all of your trellising plants in one box? Or, do you spread them out over several different boxes?

I was hoping to do the peas (we need a TON since it's mine and my daughter's favorite), beans, cucumber, zucchini, cantaloupe, and possibly tomato in one box. I was just wondering how to go about this. Is it recommended? Since the peas need to be planted well before the other warm weather plants. Should I have my boxes going north/south, or east/west. Right now, my rows are going east/west with my peas and beans at the north end, and my newly planted cucumbers and zucchin on the west side (hoping this makes sense!) And I considered corn, but it seems like too much work for only one or two ears off each stalk!

I have really enjoyed this forum, and hope someone can help me with this! I was hoping I could do about 3 4x16 boxes, but if I really "have" to, I can spread them out around the yard (hoping hubby will agree!) so that I can have all the different trellises if they shouldn't be in just one box. Thanks ahead for any insight (I haven't found anything about an entire 4x16 box with all trellised plants yet!)

dj

Comments (7)

Sponsored