SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lllive

Advice - New Dawn Climbing Rose and Clematis for a Newbie Gardener

LIV
5 years ago

Hi! I am a newbie gardener - it was my very first "gardening season" with annuals this year and now working on adding / growing perennials and improving the front garden of my cottage. I have just recently installed 4 slim trellises at the front of the house (each trellis measures 24" wide and 10 feet tall) and planted a New Dawn climbing rose (ND) and a Jackmanii Superba Clematis (JS) in front of each of the trellis just yesterday. The plants were in the clearance section of HD and a quick google search while I was in the store showed an image of both climbers combined in a trellis so I easily decided to purchase them.

Only after reading houzz discussions and other websites last night (after I have planted all of them) did I begin to think that the New Dawn roses might mature to be too large and vigorous for the 2ft x 10 ft wall trellises I have. Having planted 4 of them in front of my cottage, I am afraid it will easily take over this small house or it might be too difficult to contain and control to stay within the trellis. Each trellis/ ND/ Clematis is spaced only at about 8 feet horizontal (each bay) and the central bay is my front door so I have to make sure no one gets snagged by its thorns. If it helps, the front wall faces SOUTH so they will get plenty of sunlight the whole day and I am located in USDA equiv. zone 5 / Canada zone 6 (ontario).

While they are still newly planted, should I remove the two NDs on each side of my front door (SOUTH) and transplant both of them in the middle of the WEST side of the house (also visible in the picture) - a mostly blank wall measuring about 22 ft wide and which I wish to cover with a climber anyway? This would still leave 2 side NDs on the "outer" trellises of the facade and a Jackmanii superba in front of each of the 4 trellises. From the 2 NDs that will remain, can I train some of their canes inward towards the center of the house, crossing right below the windows, so that they can also cover the 2 "inner" trellis beside the front door? This way, I only have 2 NDs planted in front of the house (hopefully easily controllable but each will have more room to grow) but I will still get the lovely combination of clematis and climbing roses in each of the four trellises ( I hope they bloom simultaneously - is there a good chance that they will?).

Alternatively, is it advisable to just leave all eight of the plants in place (New Dawn roses and JS Clematis since both are planted in front of each trellis) and just prune them VERY HARD (to maybe a third of the trellis = 3.5 feet high) EVERY SUMMER around July right after both of them have bloomed and then just work with or rely on whatever new canes that the ND rose will grow between the remaining growing season (July-October) for blooming in the following summer? Will this hurt / affect flowering of the clematis and the new dawn roses? After hard pruning in summer, I can just diligently train the new rose cane growth into the trellis (which I now realize will have to be done every year because I pruned hard). If I go this route, I understand I have to leave the ND rose canes until they bloom but I intend to prune the JS clematis again late winter/ early spring (as normally done for Group C clematis) for new blooms that hopefully will climb up on the "new" rose canes (grown only during the previous summer. I understand if I do this, I will not enjoy the repeat blooms of the flowers for later in the season but any advice / drawbacks with this approach?

Lastly, while I have already watched various planting, training and pruning tutorials for roses and clematis, will the limited 24" width of each of the trellises be a challenge in keeping the rose "main" canes mostly horizontal? is 24" wide enough or is it narrow and I will most likely break a lot of canes? I am excited but also equally nervous with the allegedly vigorous growth of thorny "New Dawn" roses. Any idea approximately how long do canes grow each season? How vigorous is "vigorous"? :)

I realize it was quite impetuous of me as a new gardener to have purchased and even planted these pretty New Dawn roses without fully understanding their growth habit (The plant tag simply said 8-12 feet height so I thought they were a good choice for my trellis - not knowing they also grew very wide..). I hope to work with these 8 plants however and determined to find a place for each of them in my home. Thanks in advance to you all and looking forward to reading your advice!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars58 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!