SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tennesseestorm

Palm trees in Tennessee (3rd thread)

tennesseestorm
16 years ago

Well, I tried to post an update to the below post on the "other" thread, but it said it was FULL and to start a new one... so here goes. :)

Just wanted to update... its mid January 2008 and I have had my Windmill palm for a couple of years now I think. It survived the winter of 2006-07 with stride. We dropped to 8 twice and there was no damage at all. It grew well summer of 2006 and grew alot more summer of 2007, but not as much as I had hoped. I am hoping summer 2008 that it will flourish! Its about 4-5 ft. now. I want it to get to at least 7 ft this year, but I know thats not happening....lol.

My Washingtonia perished by December- no suprise. It was not the hardy one anyway. :(

My Sabal Birmingham has been VERY disappointing. Very little/no growth in the two years I have had it. I am thinking of yanking it out of the ground and trashing it! It stays green, but its thin and not growing... I fertilized it as well.

I have had good luck with my other "DEEP south" trees... my Southern Live Oaks have did well, as has my Spanish Dagger, but my Spanish Bayonet is glum. It does OK in the summer, but does not grow near as large as my other yuccas and it dies out in the winter for some reason and its not out of zone! It has not got that cold here, yet it dies out.

I have thought about trying my luck with a Sabal Minor this year and maybe even a Cabbage palm (really pressing my luck). Oh, I also got some Spanish Moss... so far, so good. NOt sure how long though.... ??

Oh, someone in Kingsport has some large palms planted... a large Cabbage palm and several Windmills. This person may visit here? If so, please step forward! I would love to discuss those palms. Someone posted photos on the city-date forums. I would post them here, but the links never work when I post them.

Thanks for any updates! Hope all is well!

RE: Palm Trees in Tennessee clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by abercrombie4me03 z7 TN (abercrombie4me03@aol.com) on Thu, Jan 3, 08 at 19:48

Hello Hello it has been a very long time I see that anyone has responded... but I guess I won't be shy to post. I still have my king sago survived last nights big freeze with protection and my trachy fortunei has'nt showed a single sign of any stress the trachy took last years freezes with no problem! so no worries there my washingtonias however got killed last winter and never revived was worth a try any updates anyone?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH