SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novaplantguy_z7b_8a

When / Where did you see your first Palm Tree? (outdoors/ wild)

So I came across a photo online the other day and it got me to thinking about the very first time I saw a palm tree. For me, the connection / attraction to them was instant. I was fascinated by them, and had never seen one before. I was only about 4 or 5 years old, and I remember it quite well, like it was yesterday. So this thread is about that. your first memory of seeing / discovering your very first palm tree, outdoors and/ or in the wild. NOT in a shopping mall or hotel lobby. Post pics of you can!

The story with mine is really quite simple and short. Back in the mid and late 70's, my family would often travel down Interstate 95 from the D.C. area, to Florida a few times a year, sometimes more. My aunt and Uncle live in Jacksonville at that time, which, needless to say was not even 1/3rd of the city that it is today. This was a rather regular trip for us. My first recollection of Palm Trees, would be around the year 1975. Yes, I paid attention to trees at the young age of 4 or so years old. The very first two books I ever picked up and read back then were, a TREE identification book, and a book about weather. Anyway... The place I came upon my first palm trees, is probably one of the single most gaudy, tacky tourist trap places on the planet. If any of you have ever driven the I-95 corridor, especially heading south trough the Carolinas you probably know this place, ESPECIALLY if you were travelling with KIDS in the car. The place Im talking about was/ is, South Of The Border, just outside of Dillon, SC. It is literally right ON the border of NC/SC, just along 95. THe story is as simple as that, and if I remember correctly, one of the trees I remember most was outside of the South Of The Border Motor Inn, next to the sign. I belive its still there, and is one of the few Sabal Palmettos that have actually survived there this long and is now fairly large. Thats it! Heres a few pics. So lets year YOUR first palm stories!!!!

Comments (9)