UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring 2005 March

yayagreen2000
19 years ago

Wow, March snuck up on me. Time to start sending out your things! Have Fun

YaYa

Comments (98)

• jaceysgranny
    19 years ago

My DH just came in bearing packages from both of my secret pals at the same time! Do I feel important or what. I got the cutest little wooden picket fence planter with two galvanized flower pots in it and a package of Lavnendar Perfection Dahlias! I planted dahlias last year for the first time and they were my favorite bloom all summer. Thank you so much for adding to my very tiny collection which is something I had planned to do this year. You're a terrific secret pal and I can't wait to "meet" you! The card you sent was beautiful as they always are. Happy Spring!!!

Nancy

• yayagreen2000
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hiya,

As to my tulips blooming in my kitchen, I planted the bulbs in December....a little late, usually best to plant in October, then put the pots in by coldest corner of my basement....have also put bulbs in pots in my garage covered with "junk" to insulate them, and then pulled them out in Feb and started watering them. That was all. I do make sure they don't dry out in the garage, usually put saran wrap over the top of the pot (and don't use a clay pot unless it is glazed so it doesn't dry out too much.

Sounds like some of you really hit the jackpot with generous pals.....pass on the love, :)

YaYa

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring 2005 February

Q

Comments (98)
    Ronda, maybe your crocus will bloom yet, don't give up on them. It seems like one day you see green leaves, then a slight swelling, then a bud creeps out overnight! I should have taken another photo of those crocuses- they looks so frosty and cold (even though Dusty would be out weeding in her "it's 30º, it's a heatwave" T shirt! LOL) later on the sun came out and those babies popped right open, a lovely little sea of purple/lavender. Dusty, I spent 23 years in the confines of Minnesota. I know cold. The coldest temp I ever saw, not windchill, was -38º maybe lower and I'm just blocking it out-- and the windchill then was -75º. I went skiing once at -22, really tough to keep your nose and eyeballs thawed out. You have to be tough (aka stupid) to do that! My teenage car was about a 16 ton Pontiac Bonneville. One morning I went out to "warm it up" in really true bone- chilling cold well below zero. No cloth seats then: we had bubble plastic seat covers, colder than heck on the back side! I didn't realize quite how cold it was until I drove off some minutes later: the car tires had frozen flat where the weight of the car flattened out the tires parked overnight. So when I drove, it was thumpety thump, thumpety thump down the ice cold streets until the friction warmed them into round tires again! Ilsonshine- I have never kept a garden journal but one thing I tried "tried-" (meaning I remembered to do it for about a week) last year was log in bloom times of various perennials in various beds, ostensibly to plan better placement and remind myself of what I can count on to bloom, when. If I had a dime for every notebook or stray piece of paper with garden notes on it around this house I'd be retired and organized if I ever got them all in one place. I'm thinking my Circle Pal's file box might come in real handy to get garden notes organized too. Yippee: I picked up file dividers and note cards to fit that box the other day! Five weeks to Spring! Five weeks to Spring! Spread the word. Better get some of my 'winter' stuff done soon. (or it will wait til next winter) Poochella
    ...See More

UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring - March

Q

Comments (49)
    Glad the package arrived okay, Alicia. If the 'Fireworks' doesn't make it, let me know and I will send more. I started out with one plant and have more and more of it come up every year. As for the magazine, just pretend you have many, many small gardens... LOL! We have a little over 9 acres, but most of it is heavily woooded so I think I have many small gardens at the edges of the woods. Sharing this picture from a few weeks ago. I will have to go outside later this weekend and take some more. Our dogwoods and azaleas are in bloom now - just gorgeous! I am trying to get out my "yard art" - just repainted my little gnomes who had really faded in the sun last year and I have a windmill to finish painting that goes in the garden you see below. I originally had it painted blue, then switched to yellow, and now it is going back to blue. Have a good weekend everyone!
    ...See More

UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring 2005 = April

Q

Comments (100)
    Shirley, just because you said Lowe's had their bulbs 1/2 off I stopped by ours yesterday on the way home and their's were still full price! Everyone gets such good deals at Lowe's but ours hardly ever puts anything on sale that isn't 9/10s dead. I did need some manure so it wasn't a wasted trip and of course I saw other things I had to have. ;-) Can you please ask the Lowe's manager or your store to train mine? <:d>Theresa, I do the same thing when I look around. It just awes me that I have parts of so many people in my gardens. That's the way I think of it, parts of "them" because they put some much of themselves into growing those plants. My pal didn't post that she got her April package either but I'm sending everything with delivery confirmation so I hope she's getting them. I got a really great package from a trade on a differnt RR today. I've been very lucky with both my RR pals. I love this one too. I look forward every day to coming home and seeing what everyone has to say. Keep posting, it's like being with old friends. Nancy
    ...See More

UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring November

Q

Comments (86)
    hmmm, some confusion to say the least. #1 confusion - who my pal was. boy was i off. and i have to admit you did the greatest job of keeping me off track. i have to thank you ever so much for all you have shared with me throughout the year. my gardens will forever remain gorgeous because of you and my heart will forever be filled with smiles at your kindness and geneorsity. #2 confusion - ruth/lil -- i didn't send that. i had ordered something for you back when it was your birthday that never was shipped but it wasn't from maine. i mailed your package out yesterday. i can't be that out of it that i don't remember ordering you a wreath LOL but then again! someone else deserves that credit and it sounds like a great gift. sure hope you enjoy the one i really sent! yaya, you will be missed. you really ran a tight ship and i so appreciated being a part of this group. i must admit, for a while there, i thought you were my pal. now i see how wrong i was. go figure. since i have been full of doom and gloom this year, a year i can't wait to end, i have some happy news. we got a new pup. he's a total freak, into everything, so mischeieveous, a pain in the butt, but so playful and sweet. i do think he's missing something upstairs, unless i just don't remember "puppy". already he's so spoiled. but it's just wonderful to have an animal in the house again. it was only a short period of time, but i certain missed having that special something! now the better news -- even though i am a youngster myself (LOL), i'm going to be a granny! i can't wait. things weren't done the "conventional" way, but what the heck...it's going to happen anyway! it was truly a good thanksgiving! it's been my pleasure belonging to this group. i'd love to stay in, but with the way things have been, i feel it would be unfair of me to commit for another full year. rose - i wish you as much success in running the group as yaya had. i'll even come around and sneak a peek and chat a bit. be well all, talk to you soon :) happy holidays earthly
    ...See More
  • Poochella
    19 years ago

Veeja I love your bright action-packed pictures- I just meant how can I compete in Birthday Greetings with the age old cake resurfacing once again? It never gets stale, though! The only one I didn't take a shining to was that carvniorous looking shamrock over on Leprachaun pal- scary!

I dug in the shade gardens yesterday and it is nearly bone dry to depths of 15 inches. The worst I've seen. We had 90+ inches of rain here last year(we are wetter by far than Seattle which averages about 34 inches/year I think.) This year it's under 20 inches at our house to date and not a cloud in the sky, or enough rain to spit at in the forecast.

I have an efficient watering system too Veeja: it's called "Poochella with a hose or two in her hand 12-15 hours a day 3 days a week." You can't find it at Lowe's or Home Depot or any nursery supply store- it's one of a kind. LOL. I just hope there is water coming OUT of the hose this summer... could be bad.

Ya Ya thanks for the tulips tips. I will have to try that next year. Maybe in the next two days I can find time to do the hypertufa. I was wondering if I might try making shallow seedling sprouting pans for winter sowing efforts, with drainage holes and all. (There goes my cake pan LOL)

Have a great week all- only days til Spring!
    Annie

• abcgirltx
    19 years ago

Thank you Pal! I received a lovely box on Saturday, it's always a delight to open your boxes. Let's see if I can remember all the stuff inside - gladiolus bulbs, an assortment of seeds, cute notepads shaped like a foot in a flip flop, refrigerator magnets that you can write on like a little white board, plus the markers, a cute little ladybug, a bonsai potato kit (little kit to make a bonsai plant out of a potato - including "a hilarious 32 page book explaining the rich tradition of the art of the bonsai potato". And to think I didn't even know this fine tradition existed! Oh yes, also included was a lovely little metal stand, all curliqued with blue marbles as accents, and a blue glass vase, to use with tea candles. Unfortunately the glass vase didn't survive the trip, so sad! But I think I can find a replacement. Oh, and a little box of chocolates, which I love. Only thing there is, the mailman left it on my front step in full sun, and our temperatures got to the high 80's on Saturday. So by the time I got to the box, I had a little box of chocolate mush. It was still yummy! :)

I haven't mailed my package yet, sorry pal, but it's going in the mail today. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed mine.

ilsonshine, you're in my prayers, hope they get your voice and your throat fixed soon. And happy birthday to all with March birthdays!

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Ya Ya, you have mail.

Circle Pal struck again! This has really been a bang up week: boxes everywhere. I wouldn't dare take a photo of my "Garden Web" corner of my living room or Fly Lady might swoop down and wisk me off to packrat limbo. There are boxes and packing stuff everywhere. Too bad!

Pal you have to stop! If you knew how partial I am to peanut m and m's you would understand why I whooped out loud when I opened the box. They used to bribe me at work to put in an extra day with M and M's!(it never works during gardening season, but I can be had in Winter. Arriving along with them: individually gift bagged Easter eggs, a collection of mint chocolate cake cookies and a grass-lined Easter basket to put them in, a beautiful verdigris cross for my wall, two pastel gardening bunny knick-knacks- their shoes are so cute! One is watering flowers with a watercan and the other is hustling through the garden with a bouquet of flowers- a familiar sight around here. There are also Easter bunny plates on which to serve my cookie/cakes and M and M's! If I had a vegetable with them, I'd call it a balanced meal.
    I got bright green frogs! A whole family: Mom and three offspring. I am thinking Mom will make a great little toad watering trough out in the garden somewhere as she has a flattened belly (unlike me after eating all these treats) where the 3 offspring can fit, but I like the idea of a toad watering hole. My only hesitation is that she looks alot like something my marauding neighbor black lab would haul off in a minute, so I'll have to be judicious about placement!
    And Speaking of dogs....there is a wild collection of the coolest "Party Animal" dog stickers- all are wearing suits and playing guitars, and there are many festive squiggles, musical instruments and little signs for celebration! These will be great for decorating Poochella boxes to send out!
    Thank you Secret Circle Pal for the very kind words in your card as well.
    Garden Circle Pal I am celebrating every day knowing I have a pal out there who is so thoughtful. I feel like 'Queen for a Month' already!
    Many thanks,
    Annie

• yayagreen2000
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey Daisy_Me

Thanks so much for the seeds you sent in trade for my extras you asked for. You are wonderful!

I love starting seeds and they are like little packs of sunshine, and the varieties are outstanding. The Hosta is the EXACT one I have wanted, and the milkweed was a great surprise. What kind of anemone is it that you sent? Is it the fall blooming Japanese Anemone? I couldn't be that lucky could I? What color is it do you know?

Thanks again, I REALLY appreciate your thoughfulness.

YaYa

• sandlapper_rose
    19 years ago

Poochella - Loved reading about your watering system:

I have an efficient watering system too Veeja: it's called "Poochella with a hose or two in her hand 12-15 hours a day 3 days a week." You can't find it at Lowe's or Home Depot or any nursery supply store- it's one of a kind.

Mine is similar. LOL
    Have a good week!

Sandlapper Rose

• daisy_me
    19 years ago

You're very welcome, YaYa! Just a little thanks for being such a great swap host!

As for the Anemone, I'll have to admit that I have no idea what kind it is. A newbie gardener in Northern IL sent me tons in the fall and I'm just sharing the wealth. :-) I just finally planted some of the seeds myself so I guess it will be a surprise!

• ilsonshine
    19 years ago

I have a couple of ?s for you seasoned gardeners...
    Have any of you grown Dutchman's Pipe (Aristolochia elegans Family: Aristolochiaceae (birthwort family) Common Names: Calico flower, pipe vine, Dutchman's pipe)? It's a zone 8-10 for hardiness. Do you think it would work as an annual in zone 5/6?

Also, what is the difference between moss phlox and creeping phlox?
    Thanks!

• teresa_ohio
    19 years ago

I received the sweetest letter from my secret pal yesterday. I just love getting your letters in the mail. I have so much I want to talk to you about and I'm trying to figure out a way I can write back. You are right, we do have so much in common. :) To answer to some of your questions in the letter... I found out about 4 years ago that I have endometriosis and my chances of getting pregnant are very slim. I really need to have a hysterectomy, but just haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet. Dealing with the pain sometimes though is quite a challenge. We tried for several years to have a baby with no luck and last year started the adoption process. We have been through the homestudy process and all that, so now we are just waiting for a match. We chose not to do the infertility treatments because the cost is so high and our chances of success were very minimal even with treatments. And adoption just seemed perfect for us. We are so anxious to start our family. Waiting is the hardest part. :)
    Your other question... Dusty and I actually met through GW last year. She was one of my first few trades, we emailed back and forth alot last suumer and she has turned out to be an awesome friend. I just love her to pieces. My husband and I went to NY last August to visit her and her family and just had a blast. She's one of the most generous and sweetest people you will ever meet. And she completely loaded us up with plants. My yard is full of beautiful flowers now from Dusty's gardens. I even made a big new flower bed and named it Dusty's Garden because everything planted there came from her. She's just the best. I hope everything works out and I'll be able to go up and see her again this spring. Dusty girl, you know I love you!! :)
    Ok, I'm going to try my best to figure out a way to write you back without knowing who you are. :) Thank you again for your wonderful letter.

ilsonshine, I think Dusty has grown Dutchman's Pipe, I'm not positive though, but she would probably know about growing it. Her knowledge of plants is amazing. Hopefully she'll pop in soon!
    Teresa

• veeja11
    19 years ago

I have the bestest pal ever, got a second box and easter one, jelly beans seed starter pots, dish towel and seeds. Thankyou pal you are the bestest.

• jaceysgranny
    19 years ago

I'll have to agree with Teresa about Dusty. I traded with her last year and she sent me the most awesome package of full grown plants. She's just the sweetest person too. I'd love to live close enough to her to be able to visit her garden and get to know her better.

Teresa, good luck with your adoption. I know you'll make great parents. There are so many children out there who really need someone it's a real shame that the process can't be quicker. It would take care of so many needs for both the A. parents and the children.

It sounds like all of our watering systems were invented by the same person since most of them are alike. I, personally, would love to have a different updated model, preferably mechanical!

Nancy

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Sandlapper- we, for the first time in ages got rain, real wet drippy rain almost all day long. Very much needed, but we are so far behind for the year that I will no doubt be breaking out the non-patented Poochella-powered hose/s all summer long...
    I haven't had time to 'hypertufa' yet either! Where do the hours go?

ilsonshine, can't help you on the dutchman's pipe, sorry.

Teresa- I hope you will soon be blessed with a little bundle of joy. It is sheer pleasure watching and assisting a child sprout and develop until they get their driver's license; then it's a little downhill LOL. I was only able to have one and am so, so pleased at what a splendid person she has become. Most days.

I'll confess, as I already told Dusty: when I first read her trade page I was afraid of her! She was to the point and no nonsense, but now I know why and appreciate her candor and humor about it! Not only that, but reading the glowing reports on the "true Dusty" here, I wish I lived closer. Dusty, you're a keeper!

To my beloved Pal: I just want to update you that these mint chocolate cakes are sooooooooooooooooo divine! I'm not worthy! I have greatly enjoyed them along with everything else.

Happy St Patty's to all Irish gathered here.
    Pooch

• lunamoon
    19 years ago

I received a lovely Easter themed package from my Secret Pal today. I received Easter eggs filled with a fabulous assortment of seeds and candy, Ranunculus and Freesia bulbs, a copy of Birds & Bloom magazine, a stationary set, a bottle of Mary Kay lotion, a Easter coloring book and the cutest frog puppet that ribbits. Thank you for thinking of DD! She was very excited to receive something in the mail. Thanks for everything!

I would also like to wish everyone a

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Jenell

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    19 years ago

Hello All! Happy St. Patty's Day! Today I received a wonderful Spring package from my SP! A huge assortment of Easter Candy (which I am munching on as we speak) I only get the Reeses as my children have claimed the rest :) Also included Easter Egg candles which are adorable!, an Easter figurine to go with them, and for St. Patrick's Day some Oxalis which I have been wanting for a while now and had failed to add to my want list but my SP is so great, she must have known it anyway :) Thank you SP for thinking of me and my boys. Hope everyone has a great spring!
    Theresa

• ronda_m
    19 years ago

Thanks to my Pal.. She sent two of the cutest wooden ducks to add to my collection.. 6 Peacock Orchids, 12 Liatris bulbs which I have already put in the ground, and a St Patricks day book marker, which I will use, I'm an avid reader..I still have NO clue who you are.. She's very clever my pal..The postmark shows a state that no one playing is from.... Thanks again Pal for making my day..
    HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY

• brittneysgran
    19 years ago

I rushed home this afternoon to get ready for my volleyball game and found my package from my secret pal. I debated wheather to be late for the game and look in the box or be on time for the game. It was sooooooo hard but I rushed to my game. We won so I'm glad I got there on time. When you are the captain you have to show an example. Here I'm rambling on and I need to tell you what was in the box.
    Wellllllllllllllllllllll I almost freaked out, I was giggling and my husband and I were going through the box and finding tons of goodies.
    The cutest bunny card wishing me a happy easter and the sweetest note from my pal.
    Bunny note pad
    Cadbury mini eggs (Whew I love candy)
    Chocolate Dove candy
    Mini snicker bars (My dessert after supper)
    Hanging glass egg
    Stuffed purple butterfly on a wooden stick(to put in a plant)
    4 gorgeous tea light holders w/candles (my husband loved these, have the perfect place too)
    Twinkle hard candy shaped like flowers and butterflies (secret pal where do you find all these cute things?)
    I don't know if I will ever eat them they are much too pretty.
    Wooden easter chicken game (you roll little balls into spots on the chicken) SOOOOOOOOOOOO cute
    White metal container painted with butterflies & flowers (the candy was found in this container) I have the perfect flower to go in my container.
    Pineapple lily ( I LOVE THESE) I have a burgundy one and this one is white.
    Dahlia - Star Elite ( a most gorgeous dahlia) I am now getting into dahlias. Poochella and I are working on a trade. She has lots of dahlias. Now this one will go with all the ones I am getting from her. Secret Pal do you have ESP?
    Wow I hope I did not leave anything out.
    Thank you Secret Pal from the bottom of my heart, you are truly a wonderful secret pal and I'm so glad that you are mine.
    Shirley

• lilylouise
    19 years ago

Hi Pal,
    I'm so pleased to get the ornamental grass seeds just in time for both winter sowing and indooor sowing and I think I might wait and try some outside once the snow melts and the ground warms. (My backyard is still completely covered with snow, even though there has been a sloowww thaw for the past ten days.) In addition, the home made truffles are wonderful--too bad DH just started back on his south Beach diet today!
    I do get BH&G myself but I'll pass the extra on to my DIL. She is constantly decorating.
    Finally the rose nightlight just fits in newly painted and decorated guest room. You've done it again for yet another month. Thank you so very much.
    Lil

• sandlapper_rose
    19 years ago

I am posting a little early so I don't forget - a very Happy Birthday to Poochella on March 19. Have a wonderful day and celebrate, celebrate, celebrate! Eat an extra piece of cake for me! I feel like I should say something noteworthy about birthdays - how about:

A birthday is just the first day of another 365-day journey around the sun. Enjoy the trip!

• ilsonshine
    19 years ago

Hey, Sandlapper Rose, that is just...profound ...
    "A birthday is just the first day of another 365-day journey around the sun. Enjoy the trip!"

Too bad that sometimes we can't go a bit faster or slow down a bit on that journey so that it stays warmer and brighter or so we can enjoy a few more days at a particularly wonderful time/spot. I guess I'll be content with or without that bright sun as I have the original guiding light of The Son : )

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Thank you Sandlapper Rose!

I begin my next journey in just a few hours- pity I won't be awake then LOL. Too many journeys around the ole sun already and way too busy recently with work and other shenanigans. Tomorrow I will either celebrate a welcomed rain, or be tromping about the yard with another NW Gardener collecting stuff she wants. Or both! Then I'm off to the Puget Sound Dahlia Association tuber sale- what a gift! Then my traditional birthday dinner: the wonderful chicken burrito smothered in sour cream and guacamole with a huge bed of lettuce on the side and the best cilantro- heavy salsa ever.. MMMMMM My hubby will try to convince me to go for steak or seafood, but I always win on my birthday!

Because I am only 29, the big flaming birthday cake for me!

• teresa_ohio
    19 years ago

I received the coolest package from my pal today. She definitely knows what I like. lol. She sent me the cutest frog stuff! I love frogs. I received a cute little Welcome plant stake with a frog on it, a very pretty glass suncatcher with froggies which I already have hanging in my sunroom, and a frog sponge holder for kitchen. She also sent an Easter bunny figurine that I have sitting with my collection of bunnies. I've always collected bunnies too! And of course a lovely notecard and a Hershey's Cookie and Cream chocolate bar. I had to eat that before my husband came home. (shhh!!) Thank you so much secret pal. You are truly the best! I've actually have a sick little frog right now that I've been nursing back to health all week. He's a beautiful red eyed tree frog. I've gotten really attached to the little guy and am crossing my fingers that he gets better. I always thought it was a challenge to give my dog a pill, well I have to say try to get a frog's mouth open to give it medicine is much harder, especially when he's no bigger than a quarter. :) So you're box really brightened my day! Thank you so much!

Thank you Nancy and Poochella for your encouragement! We've learned along the way that talking to people about it really helps and it's a blessing how supportive they are.

And since it's almost midnight.... Happy Birthday Poochella!

Dusty, Where are you? Hope everything is ok! Big hugs!
    Teresa

• jaceysgranny
    19 years ago

Happy, happy birthday Poochella! I know you don't want ME to sing to you but the words are meant to sound as sweet. I hope you have your best one ever and eat one of those for me too with lots of pico de gallo, the hotter the better. ummm Pamper yourself and have fun!

Nancy

• ilsonshine
    19 years ago

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday To You, Happy Birthday Dear Poochella, Happy Birthday to YOU!!!!
    Hope you have a marvelous day!!!
    WOW I wish we had a Big Dahlia Sale around here. That sounds neat. If I knew they weren't too expensive I'd ask you to get a few really pretty ones for me : ) I really liked one I had a few years ago that was Big, White and Dark Red/Burgandy if I remember right.
    HAVE FUN and Enjoy yourself on your special day!

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

Happy Birthday Pooch. You share the day along with my mother -- makes it easy enough to remember!

Hope you have a great day, enjoy your dahlia day and your birthday dinner. i think i'd opt for that your hubby suggests, but then that's me and burritos -- we don't see eye to eye, or is that mouth to stomach?

In any event - rain or shine - enjoy it to its fullest!

earthly

• sandlapper_rose
    19 years ago

A Happy Belated birthday to GGSNAIL who celebrated a birthday on March 10. I am so sorry not to have posted a birthday wish to you. (This birthday list is nice but it only works if I remember to look at it - LOL) Anyway, I hope you had a wonderful day. The birthday saying that I posted from Poochella was not one I created - I found it when I searched the internet. Here is one for you as well, GGSNAIL. Have a great year!

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live
    --Unknown

Sandlapper Rose

• beth_b_kodiak
    19 years ago

A great old BIG Happy Birthday HUG to you Poochie.
    No cutesie graphics from this old lady but I'm thinking cutesie thoughts for you. LOL
    Have a wonderful day and buy lots of Dhalias. They are like chocolate, you never have too many. Now, Birthdays, are not in that category

• Aprils_Garden
    19 years ago

Thanks to my great secret pal! I got a great package yesterday that brightened my day and brought great excitement to the family in general...everyone gets so excited when my packages arrive!

There was the cutest card with chicks on it (did you know I have chickens? I am debating whether or not to get more chicks this year and the chicks on the front of the card are so cute!) a package of Andes mints (I have not had those in so long and I just LOVE them) a beautiful book called Gardening with Color in which every page is filled with color pictures of flowers! and packs of veggie seeds for my garden (what great timing...I am going to start a few things under lights this week so the tomatoes and peppers will be started, the beans and arugula will have to wait a few weeks though)

I have big plans for a vegetable garden this year, but as this will be my first real veggie garden I have to try to keep myself under control. LOL I have always just tucked a few veggies here and there around my flowers, but with my recent discovery of mulch (can you believe that!) I am hopeful I will be able to keep the weeds under control! So really I don't have anything specific in mind, just whatever strikes my fancy, but if you have anything yummy I would love to try it! My last frost date around here is May 15, but only the really brave put much out before the end of May LOL

Spring is just about to spring and looking good around here as long as you like a blanket of white snow! I did notice a few bulbs beginning to peek out yesterday...very exciting!

Happy Birthday to all you March birthdays! I must find that list of birthdays and copy them down...I am always behind the times!

April

• Aprils_Garden
    19 years ago

ilsonshine- Phlox are tall (mine are about 3 feet) and have a poof of flower at the top and the creeping ones are really short and spread over the ground

Hope that helps

• dustydigger
    19 years ago

Wow! I had a lot of reading and catching up to do! Been very very busy here, no time to play! (pouty face)
    First I want to say Happy Birthday to Pooch and all the other birthday gals! And Pooch, yes build a silo! lol

ilsonshine - Lil T is right I grow Dutchmans Pipe here, I have the vine and another called old man's pipe. I bring them inside for the winter and place them in the south facing windows. I have had no problems keeping it over winter. I have found many of the plants grown outside in the warmer zones are houseplants for me. Works out good! I hope you get your voice back soon!

And yes, my member page/trade page is direct and to the point.. but that's me in general. I speak my mind and sometimes a bit too loudly. I am loved and hated here on this site and find it's a good balance!

You're all welcome to come walk/sit whatever in the gardens, anytime you like. Do some digging, whatever, I sent Lil T home with tons last year and there's pleanty more where that came from. I won't be doing much trading this year as my shop will consume most of my time, but will be happy to do in person trades. I'll be digging alot from my gardens and planting gardens at the shop. Maybe just maybe I can get these gardens thinned down a bit. Well my weekend project is waiting for me.. I'm making living wreaths! Too much fun!
    Hope you all are having a great month! I'll check in again soon!
    Tally Ho!

~Dusty~

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Oh thank you all for the Birthday Wishes and hugs!~ I am so full I feel like singing the 'Oompa Loompa' song from Willie Wonka, as I feel like one of those round characters! I just have room for one Pearson's mint for dessert and then I'll be officially stuffed.

I had a great day- even got a free birthday dahlia tuber at the sale along with 18 more varieties I just had to try. Those nice little dahlia fanatics conned me into joining their association too- I'll fit right in! Can't hurt to learn more about taking care of them.

Dusty, when do you anticpate the flower shop opening again? Sounds like you have your work cut out for you, but rewarding work it should be. Good luck with it.

My next journey around the sun started off marvelously- but alas I am older and sleepier than I used to be.
    Thanks again for all your nice wishes.
    Poochella

• brittneysgran
    19 years ago

Poochella, Wow I almost missed your Birthday lolly gagging around. Happy Birthday girl.
    Long may you love the loveliness of earth.
    And celebrate with joy your day of birth.
    Are you really only 29?
    It's been along time since I seen 29. Have you found what you wanted from my list yet? No hurry just wondering.
    Happy night all, I'm just about to fall asleep at this computer.
    Shirley

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Shirley, I've yet to really look with a microscope at your trade list, but mark my words I WILL! I sent you mail.
    I am not really 29. But I've only had one gray hair ever, and yanked that sucker out as fast as my fingers could nab it! I encroach on 50, not quite there yet and it won't mean much to me when it hits. Because my algebraic formula for middle age is this:

Middle Age = Poochella's age+10. Always. So there.

Earthly, My Mom's birthday is April 15th, try to forget that: you can't. You have alot of government officials making sure you remember Mom!

Thanks for your BDay wishes Brittney's gran!
    Annie/Poochella

• brittneysgran
    19 years ago

Annie,
    50 don't hurt too bad. I was really dreading it but you're only as old as you feel they say. I'm 53 and never act my age. I now play volleyball and in two more years (when I'm 55 I can join the senior games) can't wait. I have always loved sports and this will be more on an age level. Our seniors compete here in games and even travel to others places and compete. I know they go to Raleigh, N.C. They do all kinds of fund raisers to get their money for traveling and etc.

Everyone has gotten such nice things from their Pals. April is just around the corner and we will be doing that one next. Planning my secret box now.

Take care All and Good night. I owe, I owe, I owe and off to work I go tomorrow.

Shirley

• PlantladyJan
    19 years ago

Greeting everyone!! I have had some puter problems and wasn't able to post!! I did receive a package from my secret pal! Thanks so much!! I received magazines! What a neat idea! I always wanted that Herb magazine so that really made my day!! I hope you are feeling better. It sounds like you are really getting a lot of projects around the house done. That is great so when spring arrives you will have more time to spend in the garden!! I hope you have a blessed Easter and enjoy your parents visit. Thanks again for the great package! Sorry for my delayed response! Take care!

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

plant lady, what is the name of the herb magazine? i'd like to check that out.

thanks.

can you believe this month is almost over as well? where is the time going?

• mellen
    19 years ago

Dear Secret Pal, Thank you for another wonderful package. The Easter egg bath and shower gels are sooo cute and smell great. I love the spring flowers stamp with the multi-color stamp pad. What a great gift! I will use it often. The garden gloves are great and in my very favorite color. Plus the peat pots and the seeds-whoohoo--WONDERFUL!!! I am in the middle of wintersowing, too. Jelly Bellies are a favorite, too. My dear pal, you are always so thoughtful and giving. Thank you, thank you, Mary Ellen/Mellen

• ilsonshine
    19 years ago

A package came in the mail today : ) I received a nice Green Greeting card complete with a long distance hug and good wishes; a St Patrick's pocket card and shamrock pin set (I think the card will make a good bookmark); a neat clay pin with a leaf imprint, and a really cool-Handmade notebook/scratch pad with a heavier leaf paper cover all tied up together. Are you a secret Crafty pal who made these neat things? You'll have to let me know in your next mailing : )

Thank you so much, secret pal, for your thoughtfulness, hug, and encouraging words. I am feeling a lot better than 2-3 weeks ago. Praise God my voice is gradually coming back. We probably won't have any news about what the Dr found/finds on the vocal cord video until sometime in the next 1-2 weeks. Thank you all for your prayers!

We're leaving for the Ozarks (MO/AR) tomorrow so I won't be on here for a few days. It'll be nice to get away for a bit and maybe see some more flowers blooming in different places : ). If I don't post before then, May You All Have a Very Nice and Happy Easter Filled With Beauty, Warmth, Faith, Hope and Love.

• daisy_me
    19 years ago

Thanks for another great package, Secret Pal! I received the cutest little Easter basket stuffed full of goodies!

I'm still oohing and aahing over the basket itself, where in the world did you find it? It is sooooo cute! (It's a stuffed duck for those that are wondering)

In the basket was Bath & Body Works country apple hand soap, Bath & Body Works mango mandarin body soap (I'm currently using the mango mandarin body spray!), an adorable Easter windchime, a very cute garden stake with a gnome on it, a pair of rubber gloves, and, it wouldn't be an Easter basket without it, CANDY! My wonderful Pal also sent me 2 Daylilies and some Crocosmia (the names are escaping me right now, I'm at work). And finally, a nice Secret Pal Easter card. I'd still love to know where you are finding those, they are so appropriate!

Thanks again for the wonderful surprise, Secret Pal! You always make my day!

• Euphoria526
    19 years ago

I'm sorry it took me so long to post, I was on a short vacation and just got back. My pal gave me loads of cool stuff, and not only does she wrap them in gorgeous paper, but she buys it from places like the WWF and paralyzed vets, which seems like an extra gift every time. I got some black dragon coleus (yay!) S-shaped post it thingies (my first name is Sarah) some plant markers which will look much neater than the cut-up miniblinds I've been using, fertilizer plant stakes, and lots of purple bearded irises. She is the greatest, always knows exactly what I want. Earthly delights, whats the name of your green sunflowers and glads? I'd love to order a few of those. Or maybe could clue me in as to where she/he got them?

• PlantladyJan
    19 years ago

Earthly Delights
    The name of the Herb mags. is The Herb Companion. The March issue is about how to create a fairy garden and natural stress relievers and aromatherapy candles. I took a class on essentail oils......wow was that fun!! Can't wait to buy some and get started!! I ordered a trial issue of The Herb Quarterly but I have not received it yet.Last year I joined the local Herb Society It has been a learning experience for me!! I just love the natural stuff! I plan to expand my Herb garden this year!! If you get a chance check out the mags!
    Enjoy your day! PlantladyJan

• lunamoon
    19 years ago

Dusty~ Mind if I ask what town your shop is in? Just wondering in case I'm ever in the neighborhood...

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

euphoria/sarah - the sunflowers are packaged by sean conway, sunflower jade hybrid (the reverse of the package says target.com). the glads say gladiolus Spring Green, sealed and packed by Van Zuverdan and the zinnia's are called envy and they are packaged by ferry morse. i can't wait to see each of these bloom. the green is so subtle and beautiful on each picture that in person it just has to be all that!

jan - i'm going to check out both magazines -- compare one to the other. hopefully neither will be chock full of advertisments - that's a real pet peeve. that's why i like the garden gate magazine - no advertisements at all.

i still can't believe that march is almost over, it all moves too fast . i'm really beginning to feel the spring time itch.

were yo aware that the flower for the month of march is the jonquil? i just learned that :)

happy easter everyone!

• dustydigger
    19 years ago

I rec'd a great St. Patricks Day card in todays mail! It's a great card with farm animals on the front! They're so cute! And the card is so sparkly! From the looks of all the postmarks, the card took a nice lil vacation getting to me!

Ilovesunshine, I must have missed your Phlox post. I love Phlox! Both the tall and the creeping phlox's are wonderful! Enjoy your trip and stay safe!

Pooch, I am banging my head against the wall right now thanks to the mortgage company! They have a clause in their commitment letter that I want a written explaination of as it can be taken 2 ways and I don't like the 2nd way! Of course they don't want to so I left it at.. deal with my lawyer.. he's wants it in writting also! We were suppose to close last week!! I am about to lose my patience with them and get a different mortgage company. So, I'll miss Mothers Day.. but that's okay.. it'll give me more time to get everything just perfect! So.. needless to say, opening date is still up in the air. Again.

LunaMoon, I will send you an email.. don't want to tip my secret pal off! lol

Spring is on it's way! We had the warmest day yesterday.. 45 out! I see a few patches of grass and under the Hawthorn tree where it is bear I can see a few clumps of tulips and daffodils! Hoping for some rain to help melt the snow! I still can't tell where my pond is(thank goodness I know!), so the rain and sun have a lot of work to do! Don't tell my dogs I said that! They're Husky's and tend to enjoy the snow! lol

Thanks again to my secret pal for the great card! Hope everyone has a great day!

~Dusty~

• yayagreen2000
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey Everyone,

The mailman came up the walk carrying this big, weird shaped package....and I knew....it must be from my garden pal. Talk about creative packaging, ha. Hey pal, just the shape of that package made me smile and brightened my day!

My pal sent me a really cute blue wire bunny topiary shape...and a wooden sign that says "to the bunny trail" as well as several boxes of cookies. Look's like my easter basket is full now :) Thanks Garden Pal.

YaYa

• sandlapper_rose
    19 years ago

Well, my birthday hasn't arrived yet, but my Garden Circle Exchange Pal is all ready for it! I have received a birthday card from her each day for the last three days --- all different --- and I think they are coming from different places, too. How do you manage that, Secret Pal? Anyway, I just hope I don't get a year older with each card that arrives. LOL Thank you for the thoughts. You are a great pal.

Sandlapper Rose

• Euphoria526
    19 years ago

Thanks. They sound gorgeous, i'm off to go hunt them down... find out if Target ships, there aren't any near me. I'm sure your garden will look fantastic this year.

• pastvast
    19 years ago

THANK YOU SECRET PAL

Yesterday, I had started to wonder if you'd forgotten. But I knew that you probably got busy and wondered where the time had gone. However, I didn't realize what great timing your package would have when it arrived tonight.

Let's just say that I've had an afternoon where I felt like I was NOT a priority with my husband and was feeling pretty darned depressed. When I opened your package, I got teary eyed because of how thoughtful your gifts were. I love all the seeds- so many different basils!, and I can't wait to get them started!! The flower candles are the cutest. They're so cute I'm not sure if I could ever burn them.

Thanks again for a perfectly timed gift!!
    -Stephanie

• yayagreen2000
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm starting a continuation of this thread since it is almost full.

YaYa

• beth_b_kodiak
    19 years ago

I got a wonderful package yesterday from my "Super Secret pal". It had lots of bulbs that I have never tried before. Not he last of which was Dhalias!!! Maybe I'll get hooked too like CArolBee and Annie. At least I'll have good compnay in my new addiction LOL.
    There was also a nice bookmarker that has already found it's way into my new/ old book, "Tottering in My GArden". It is about 40 years of gardening experience from a lady who seems to consider herself "OLD" Ha Ha HA, I think when she wrote it... She had no idea what old was. It is a good, useful and entertaining book. I'll pass it along if anyone wants to read it.
    There was also "the Pollinater". A very cute springy Bee with shinny marbles tucked into the pockets on his legs where the pollen pockets might be.
    Thanks again secret pal. Your packages are so much fun to get I'm just loveing this exchange. Beth