SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kingborris_gw

plants for crazy new project?

kingborris
18 years ago

Hi All,

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong section. My project covers about 8 of the available forums here, so I was really lost as to where to put it.

Here's the situation: I am a fishkeeper really, and into planted tanks. I have just set up a new tank which is roughly 180 US gallons, and filled it with fish (discus and tetras) and aquatic plants (mainly echinodorus and cryptocoryne species).

Now this tank is a little different from regular tanks, as it is surrounded on three sides by a 4"x4" trough, split into four sections. These have been designed as part of the filtration of the tank, and as such, tank water flows through these troughs before being fed into a sump tank benieth, and back to the tank via a return pump. The idea is, I grow plants in a hydroponic manner in these troughs.

At present, I have filled the troughs with Jongkind expanded clay pellets (4-10mm) as a growth medium. the tank water is happily flowing through this, but it does make a very wet environment for plants to grow in.

I am after some suggestions for groups of plants that may do well in these conditions, which i can research further. I am guessing bog plants, but which groups?

The tank water is soft and acidic. The whole setup is lit by 3x150W MH lights suspended (variable hieght) above the tank. I also use pressurised CO2 injection into the water, which will mostly be expelled from the water column in these troughs... which in turn may make a CO2 rich micro-environment under the plants I put there? (well... possibly)

Any recommendations are welcome, and appologies for the lengthy post.

KB :-)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor