SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hope369_gw

I'm in need of help (fern related)....

10 years ago

.....and I'm not sure where to even start looking. I apologize in advance for the length of this post but hope someone can help me.

My wife and I split up 3 months ago due an ongoing problem I've had with prescription pain pills. It got to be too much and she walked away from our marriage. It destroyed me because she was my best friend. I'm working my way back to a better life but I'll never reach that fully without her.

I've attached a couple of pics from a fern that we've had for years. When we were married 8 years ago, there were several of these beautiful ferns lining the aisles. Her mother saved 2 of them and gave one to us and she kept one. My wife was good with plants but for some reason, never had success with the fern and it subsequently died. She would jokingly say she killed our "love fern". Her mother (who finds sentiment in everything) was able to divide out her fern and gave us another shot at it. Once again, no luck and it died for all intents and purposes.

About a month before she left me, she put the fern on our kitchen countertops and said she didn't think it was worth saving and said we should give up and throw it out. I didn't want to do that but I didn't care enough to really take charge. I had mentioned sticking it outside and if it made it, great but if not, oh well. Three months later, she was gone and the dead fern sat in the exact same spot.

As I've started to heal myself, I started to feel bad for this fern that we gave up on. That fern became sybmolic of my struggle and our failing marriage. I want nothing more than to be able to save this fern and nurse it back to health to show my wife that beautiful things can come from bleak and hopeless situations with some work, love and the right support.

I went to a local home improvement garden center and showed the photo attached. I was told to put the fern in a larger pot (12") and to put in potting soil with some fertilizer. I was also told to cut off the dead spots. I tried doing that but after reading info on the internet, I noticed that I should have put peat moss in, which I didn't do. I don't have the best green thumb and I'm trying my best to save this fern. Based on the info I've given and the attached photo (before I repotted it), is it even savable or am I wasting my time?

I'm resolved to do anything necessary to save this plant to show my wife that some things are worth fighting for. I'm sorry for the length of this post but if anyone can shed some info for me, I'd be eternally grateful. Thank you.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus