SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purplemage

Ruined before I started? (lowered bed)

purplemage
13 years ago

Ok. Midwesterner here, trying to vegetable garden in the high desert. Ground in yard is clay/sand mixture, not really too bad on either of those. Caliche was minimal. Dug 30" deep hole and filled with water. Empty with an hour.

Landscapers came in, dug out garden bed 2.5 feet deep (12x20). Filled bed with 50/50 compost and topsoil. Added vermeculite. Tilled all together. The topsoil was very dry to begin with, as was compost.

Left 4-6" rim around garden to retain water and wind break.

After landscapers left, began to flood garden to moisten and compact soil in bed. Seems like the top several inches of soil are getting very wet and water is pooling more quickly than I'd like. When I dig shovel in, 6-8" down the soil is completely dry...powdery, yet the water is pooling on the top. It drains completely within 30 minutes or so, but doesn't seem to be saturating the soil very deeply. Is this just a very thirsty and dry garden that needs to be re-wetted? I'm concerned with several things:

1)will I have the bathtub effect, even though it appears to be draining fairly well? (it sure looks like the bathtub effect with the initial waterings today)

2)is this just a case of needing to settle and the topsoil and compost needing a bit of care to re-saturate with the water?

Oh please help!

Comments (5)

Sponsored