SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dowbright_gw

holes in blocks ruining decorative cement bed!

dowbright
11 years ago

I had this bed built, did a little planting, and it was doing fine. Now, after a big rain, big holes are developing along all the sides, because the guy told me he'd see that the holes were filled with dirt. But of course--he did NOT.

I realize that I have to get dirt into those holes, but I can't hire anyone, and we're elderly and have arthritis, so we can't empty the bed and start over. I stuck the hose full force under the dirt, into part of the bed, near the edges, and this forced the soil to drop a lot, big holes opened up, and hopefully this helped filled them.

BUT: Am I compacting and ruining the soil by doing this? I figure the crops I've already got in are all wasted because they're on the edges, and will soon sink too low to get the right light. I also doubt they'd survive the earth shifting like that in a big rain.Could be wrong. I have soil amendments I can mix in to bring the soil level back up to where it needs to be.

Should I use the hose method to fill the holes? If not, other ideas? I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (5)