SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_flutterby

Got my 1st SFG planned

organic_flutterby
10 years ago

I made four 4x4 beds. I've got them filled with Mel's mix. And today I constructed two trellises from conduit.

Ok, so the beds are placed in a square with about 2 1/2 ft between them each way.

I placed my trellises on the north side of the two most northern beds. I made them so they would be about 5 feet above the bed frame. Is this a good height?

Here's what I picked out to plant: 6 sq tomatoes, 1 sq peas, 1 sq cucumber, 4 sq carrots, 2 sq broccoli, 2 sq cauliflower, 2 sq cabbage, 1 sq onions, 4 sq peppers, 2 sq lettuce, 1 sq spinach, 16 sq strawberries. That leaves 6 open squares to fill. I'll probably put in some bush beans. I was going to use the fourth bed to grow 1 small pumpkin, 1 watermelon and 1 honeydew vertically. I would love to hear your thoughts on my choices here.

I'm not sure how feasible that fourth bed idea is. I'm still investigating the possibilities. I'm thinking about using cattle panels and making a dome type trellis, but I'm afraid my beds might be too close together and it would cast too much shadow. I've already planned out the two northern beds. Any thoughts on that?

Another puzzle to me is about using floating row cover. How do I use it on the beds that have the trellises? Does the row cover go over the trellises too?

On a side note, I've ordered my seeds and strawberry plants. I think it will be time to start my seeds indoors pretty soon.

Thanks in advance for your much needed help!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH