SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wardda_gw

Bush Sage Winter survival

wardda
16 years ago

It is probably a bit too early to talk about winter survival. In the past plants that I thought were dead returned at the base, but since so many new salvia gardeners are still buying plants it seems time to speak up. I have three gardens where bush sages are grown. There is one along the Delaware River in dry barren sand dredged from the river bottom - zone 7A; my own garden on rich sandy soil near the bottom of a down slope - probably 6B; and a garden on much damper richer soil - probably 7A. The first garden mentioned has been by far the most successful for these sages even though they were planted in one of the driest summers we've had in recent years. I'll call them garden G1, G2, and G3. The latter garden hasn't been checked yet.

Microphylla San Carlos Festival - In G1 all 6 plants are making new growth and held leaves all winter. In G2 six year old plants also stayed green.

Microphylla Neurepia - In G1 all 6 plants survived and remained green. In G2 the single plant remained green into February but now shows no obvious life.

Microphylla Hot Lips - In G1 all 6 plants kept green leaves for the winter. In G2 the single plant shows no signs of life.

Greggii X Stampede - In G1 all plants retained green leaves all winter.

Greggii Navajo Bright Red - In G1 all six plants have green leaves. At G2 the five year old plant is showing no sighs of life.

Greggii White - At G1 two of the three plants retain green leaves. At G2 the original plant also is green.

Microphylla Orange Door - The six plants at G1 and the single one at G2 are dead to the ground.

Red Velvet - G1 and G2 dead to the ground.

Big Pink - G1 and G2 dead to the ground.

Greggii Wild Thing - 12 out of 18 plants survived in G1 and the ones that were lost were run over by a truck. In G2 the original plant survived another winter with green leaves.

X Cherry Chief - G1 healthy with green leaves and G2 dead to the ground.

X Cherry Queen - G1 healthy with green leaves and G2 dead to the ground.

X Raspberry Delight - 4 five year old plants in G2 with green leaves.

X Maraschino - a 5 year old plant in G2 with green leaves but 7 rooted cuttings planted in early July are all dead to the ground.

Micrphylla La Trinidad Pink - dead to the ground in G2

Microphylla 18 of March - dead to the ground in G2.

X Raspberry Royale seeding - retained green leaves all winter in G2.

Greggii Furman's Red - The four plants in G2 show no obvious signs of life, the first time they have lost their leaves since they were planted a few years ago.

Maybe this will be useful to someone, at least I hope so.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting