SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justmetoo_gw

Butterfly bush survived, now what?

justmetoo
12 years ago

We had a rare mild winter in mid-central IL. Usually my butterfly bushes get cut way back now (the roots always survive but the last years tops don't)...I trim down to a about four/five inches and eventually new growth comes from around the base.

This winter I think we got down to like 10 degrees once, and mid teens a few times. Otherthan that we were in the 20's. The above ground stems are well alive. Ok, as it does not happen here usually, I have no idea on what to do.

If I leave the tops and maybe just trim/shape up some, will I still get 'normal' good blooms this summer? Should I cut them down as usual? I'm out cleaning off the garden. I have almost total beds/borders in a cottage garden style. The three to four plus foot stems are annoying me as I watch all my early spring bulbs bloom The butterfly bushes all over the place distract from the pretty spring bulbs ((yeah, I know, only in my mind and no different than my other type shrubs, but still...). I can live with that if I should, but I seriously have no idea what to do with them this year. 30 yrs in the garden and I've never faced this issue. I want my usual pretty blooming bushes this summer, so can anyone advise what to do this rare year I'm having? I've got plants coming up all over that never return here (which is a plus of course and a treat) but I don't want to damage my actual pernenials and/or lose my summer blooms.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012