SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ion_source_guy

Dig your own water well?

ion_source_guy
16 years ago

Fort Collins City government's idea of water conservation is to penalize gardeners, or anyone with a big lot with unfairly over priced water. Basically the water is priced on a graduated scale: the amount of water needed in the winter is nearly free, then the amount of water needed for a small lawn is very cheap, but the water for a good sized lawn is very high, and if you have a big lot full of lawn and garden like me, the price per gallon for water during the hot summer months is OUTRAGEOUS!!! Basically the city makes enough money off me during the summer months to subsidize the water bill all year of about 10 of those new houses on postage stamp sized lots.

Of course the City does nothing to limit use of water in parks and medians all over the city, and the dingaling's on city council killed a plan to build a new water storage dam to prepare for drought in the future.

I'm giving serious thought to buying or renting a rig so that I can dig a water well. I've searched the net a bit, and there's still that deal that looks like a lawn mower engine on top of a pole that always used to be advertised in organic gardening, or there's a new approach which uses compressed air in a hose to drive some kind of grinding deal that lowers down the hole on the hose. The later only goes about 100' but cost of the equipment is way less (about the price of my water bill last July).

I've been told that you can't get a license to drill a well if you're within the city limits. (that would mess up the City's monopoly on water) So I'm a little disconcerted about drilling without proper authorization, but at this point I'm fed up and concidering bending the rules a bit.

Have any of you folks tried digging your own water well, and if so how did it go? Which kind of equipment did you use? Have you heard of anyone getting in trouble for having an undocumented well?

Bruce

Comments (22)