SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunkers_gw

How to make a drainage swale look decent?

bunkers
17 years ago

Hi, I live in Castle Rock and last summer was one of extreme flooding for my property. Now, the town and builder will be implementing a buried drainage solution behind my house and going under my yard (w/ storm sewer pipes) ... scaled for the 100 year flood on 6 acres uphill from me. I also will have an "emergency" swale that will be approx. 12" deep and 20' wide. It will be graded in way that looks rather gradual (10:1) and not so ditch like.

In the front yard, I will probably have grass in this swale, as I have to, otherwise, I'd literally have no front yard. In the back yard, they are saying it should be 1' deep 5-6" cobble ... and thats 1' under the actual bottom of the swale. So they excavate 2' and then fill 1' of large cobble into the bottom.

My question is: How can I make this look good? They say its a bad idea to plant trees in this area, as its already over an existing water line ... and when this project is done, it'll be over (2) 15" drain pipes and the surface swale is 1' of rock itself (how to plant in that?).

So without impeding the flow signifcantly, what can I do to make this look decent?

All ideas appreciated.

This swale will likely be quite soggy during rain events, just from water coming from my own 3/4 acre lot. I'm going to have them re-route my downspouts into this thing, as well, since its built to handle so much water.

The other problem I have is that the front wing fence goes over this area, requiring me to move my existing gate. Their current proposal is to have the fence go straight, and there would be a 1' gap under it for the swale and it would be lined with welded 2x4 fencing, to allow water to pass though, but still remain somewhat secure as a fence. So my question there is: how to I make THAT look decent from the curb. Its about 60' off the curb (the fence).

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County