SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

What do you use for de-icer?

digit
16 years ago

Good Morning!

Another light snowfall here and it's been over 2 weeks since the temperature has been above freezing.

For many years I have used ammonium sulfate fertilizer as a substitute for a salt de-icer. Like salt, it lowers the freezing point and the ice melts if the temperature gets up into the mid to high 20âÂÂs.

I suppose my most serious concern with using fertilizer as a de-icer is that some of the water is is not staying in my yard. It can't be such a good thing if much of the fertilizer is ending up in the river or the aquifer but, honestly, I doubt if much of that is happening. In another location, that would be a bad thing.

Most of the time, the fertilizer will either become "embedded" in slush and thrown onto the lawn or, more likely, end up just beside the sidewalks. I can pretend that it does some good there.

Here's a problem - - the wood steps off the deck in the backyard. Gettin' old, don't get around much anymore and those 7 steps are a pathway to disaster if they aren't cleared of snow & ice. Beside them, is a nice little herb garden (handy right there near the backdoor).

The lawn fertilizer hasn't been real kind to what I believe are redwood steps. The deck has been here probably 20 years and I've been applying fertilizer on those steps for the last 12. So, it probably isn't surprising that I'll need to replace those wood steps soon. I doubt if they'd have lasted much longer no matter what was sprinkled on them.

What do you use for de-icer? Are you concerned that salt will damage your plants? Do you feel that fertilizer and/or salt is damaging your "hardscape?"

Are there alternatives to fertilizer/salt as a de-icer?

digitS'

Comments (10)