SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
turnaround_gw

How tall do Aspens get? Can I 'top' (clip) my Aspens? Root Q's.

17 years ago

Just joined this forum.

We planted our 8 Aspens 14 years ago. Most are now 27' tall. Our house is 25' feet tall at it's roof peak. But, we live on a steep lot where the foundation level of the house is already 12' up from the street level. It's a small HOA neighborhood with narrow streets. The lot isn't very deep either. The result of all this is that while we love our house, it "looms" over the street somewhat. The Aspens in the front yard were meant to soften that appearance, and.. we just plain love aspens! We think they're the most beautiful trees.

However, we did NOT know that they could get so huge. Our mistake. These amazing plants were growing 2 feet a year until recently. Scaring the heck out of us for over all height. How tall are they going to get?

I know you're not supposed to do this, but I don't know why you're not; Can we have the trees "topped" (cutoff the top one foot), to try and stop them from getting taller?

Secondly, We have a friend going through the nightmare right now of digging up his front yard to replace a sewer line that a tree (no aspen) crushed. Can Aspen trees do this with their roots? Do they break sewer lines and break up concrete foundations?

These trees put out dozens of surface roots with suckers popping up. We have no problem with cutting the baby suckers. But it never ocurred to me that the roots might run deep and crack foundations.

Thanks so much folks! :-)

Comments (8)